Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #1

Any idea if these would work?

I'm not he most, umm, vertically gifted person out there. Do you guys think a couple of these would fit behind the seats? If so, would they be able to be hooked up to a 2002 factory system? I also plan to install a rear speaker system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bazooka-BTA6200-200-Watt-6-Inch-Bass-Tube-6-Sub-NR_W0QQitemZ110085464974QQihZ001QQcategoryZ32822QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
I'm not he most, umm, vertically gifted person out there. Do you guys think a couple of these would fit behind the seats? If so, would they be able to be hooked up to a 2002 factory system? I also plan to install a rear speaker system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bazooka-BTA6200-200-Watt-6-Inch-Bass-Tube-6-Sub-NR_W0QQitemZ110085464974QQihZ001QQcategoryZ32822QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Those would only fit if you have your 5 feet tall or shorter,your seat would have to be all the way forward just to fit those. You may want to look into the GT3 delete option and have someone custom fabricate you a quality subwoofer inclosure.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #3

I'm not that vertically challenged thank god. Never thought of the console delete option, thats a good one to ponder, thanks.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #4

Hi,

Adding two Sub Tubes in a Boxster will stunt your growth...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #5

As a true audio guy (working on installing a set of the Hertz 3-way ribbon tweetered components into my S currently) I would definitly re-think this idea. First off, unless you're 4 10 there still wouldnt be enough room behind the seats for those. However, a much more presssing issue is the fact that no matter what you do, you simply cant build SPL in a vert. If you REALLY want to try to get bass, mount a 10 or 12 in a ported box in the front trunk and port it through the sterring collumn into the cabin, but even then, you'll have better extension but still no SPL. At the shop we've done a bunch of Boxsters, and what does work very well and is quite livable is to mount a JL 6W0 or 6W2 in a sealed box up under the passenger footwell. Space is reduced a small bit, but it does offer very impressive low end extension. Also, if you care at all about imaging, forget about rear speakers. Theres a reason every car you see at a competition doesnt have rear speakers, and its the same reason why audiophiles dont have surround sound in their listening rooms.

Me? I'm just going to bi-amp my Hertz 3-ways and make use of their 6 1/2" drivers in the doors (this does require modifyfing your doors) and live with some extension but no real slam in the bass department, and really enjoy my glorious mids and highs.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
As a true audio guy (working on installing a set of the Hertz 3-way ribbon tweetered components into my S currently) I would definitly re-think this idea. First off, unless you're 4 10 there still wouldnt be enough room behind the seats for those. However, a much more presssing issue is the fact that no matter what you do, you simply cant build SPL in a vert. If you REALLY want to try to get bass, mount a 10 or 12 in a ported box in the front trunk and port it through the sterring collumn into the cabin, but even then, you'll have better extension but still no SPL. At the shop we've done a bunch of Boxsters, and what does work very well and is quite livable is to mount a JL 6W0 or 6W2 in a sealed box up under the passenger footwell. Space is reduced a small bit, but it does offer very impressive low end extension. Also, if you care at all about imaging, forget about rear speakers. Theres a reason every car you see at a competition doesnt have rear speakers, and its the same reason why audiophiles dont have surround sound in their listening rooms.

Me? I'm just going to bi-amp my Hertz 3-ways and make use of their 6 1/2" drivers in the doors (this does require modifyfing your doors) and live with some extension but no real slam in the bass department, and really enjoy my glorious mids and highs.

Patrick
What do you think of the stock Bose system? (I think I know the answer).
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #7

Sorry for the late post on this, but yes, you already know my answer. The way I see it, if buying the car new, no way would I ever pay for upgraded factory audio. If they had an option for radio delete I would check that all day long. Now, it changes a bit when you buy pre owned. If the car you're looking at has the Bose, great. If the seller wants extra money because he paid for it, thas a tough one, and I would make it very clear in negotiating that I'd be ripping out the audio anyway so I could care less what was there. Now, at the end of the day, if you buy a pre owned Boxster with Bose and its good enough for you, thats fine. Would I ever consider purchasing the Bose sytem (either new or used) to install into a pre owned car? Absolutely not. You can do so much better for less money.

This applies at home too. The stupid Bose "Lifestyle" systems are over $1000, maybe even closer to $1500 (havent looked in a while). For that amount, you could have bought some decent lower end (in the hifi world) components and had sound 10 times better (NAD, Mission, PSB, Rotel all come to mind).

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #8

You're right about buying used... Though my Boxster had some sort of Alpine head unit that was missing the face plate, there apparently was an amp in the front trunk, and there is a speaker box built into the front of the passenger side footwell.

I don't know if the door and/or dash speakers were changed, but they sound pretty decent. My car also does have the rear speakers, and IMHO, it does help fill in the sound.... but it's still lacking low end.

I had my Sony MP70 head unit installed, and it does sound pretty good.

My previous car had an 8" woofer in the back, and I got good sound out of it.

So I'm thinking about getting an 8" speaker and a single channel amp to run it off of. Don't want to spend a fortune, I just want a little more low end.

Do you have any suggestions, BMWM750? I'd appreciate your input, as it seems you know what you're talking about. Thanks!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Sorry for the late post on this, but yes, you already know my answer. The way I see it, if buying the car new, no way would I ever pay for upgraded factory audio. If they had an option for radio delete I would check that all day long. Now, it changes a bit when you buy pre owned. If the car you're looking at has the Bose, great. If the seller wants extra money because he paid for it, thas a tough one, and I would make it very clear in negotiating that I'd be ripping out the audio anyway so I could care less what was there. Now, at the end of the day, if you buy a pre owned Boxster with Bose and its good enough for you, thats fine. Would I ever consider purchasing the Bose sytem (either new or used) to install into a pre owned car? Absolutely not. You can do so much better for less money.

This applies at home too. The stupid Bose "Lifestyle" systems are over $1000, maybe even closer to $1500 (havent looked in a while). For that amount, you could have bought some decent lower end (in the hifi world) components and had sound 10 times better (NAD, Mission, PSB, Rotel all come to mind).

Patrick
I agree with you a 100%. And it's odd you mention the radio delete- I actually did this twice on 2 new cars I've bought.

I have a Vette that had the BOSE and I ripped it out. My action was based on the speaker amps needing repair, an expensive repair, it turned out- so I bought a new head unit and four lovely speakers. No problem filling that cabin with sound. Same with the Box. So when I was weighing the options on my 2002 purchase a few months back- why not get the "free" BOSE?

Thanks for your reply.

wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote