Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #1

would you guys stay away from this car?

A 2001, one owner with only 12-13k miles thats had the RMS done already? Do you think its prone for replacement often? I've noticed sometimes they have to be replaced often... I'm not sure if this is one of those cars. It's either this car or a 2001 with 30k miles that had it done under warranty a couple of years ago. I don't care if i need to get it done sooner than later, I just don't want to have to do it every year.
Thanks for any help.

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #2

Hi,

Repeat RMS failures do occur, but at a much lower rate than initial failures. Either (or both) car may have a 2nd failure, and either (or both) may never have another issue with it. The RMS on my car failed and was replaced at 4k mi., at 27k mi. (and 7.5 yrs. later), it's dry as a bone (knock on wood). Most RMS failures occur before 24k mi., though they have occurred at higher mileages as well.

You can not (or at least should not) base your decision on whether one car's main seal will fail vs another. In fact, if RMS failure scares you that much, go buy a corvette or something which isn't prone to it.

Assuming both cars are in similar condition, I'm inclined to go with the lower mileage example. It's mostly urban myth that a lower mileage car can be more trouble (especially once the Odo has climbed past 10k mi.).

The absolute best thing to do is PPI them both and make your choice on the basis of what the reports say. Perhaps spendy, but in the grand scheme of things, maybe the best money you'll ever spend.

But, realize that buying any Used Car involves risk. You can minimize the risk by being well informed, keeping your emotions at bay, and getting the most thorough inspection you can buy. That said, it's still no guarantee. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-20-2007 at 05:57 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #3

I have no problem getting a PPI on both... How much should I spend on a PPI? The 01 with 30k miles would be a heck of a lot easier to get the PPI done too. Maybe I'll just check that one first, for that fact as well as it being a little less expensive. The other car is about 50miles away and then another 10-15 miles from a Porsche dealer... the one with 30k is three miles away and only another 3 to the Porsche dealer. I guess distance shouldn't matter thought...
Old 02-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
I have no problem getting a PPI on both... How much should I spend on a PPI? The 01 with 30k miles would be a heck of a lot easier to get the PPI done too. Maybe I'll just check that one first, for that fact as well as it being a little less expensive. The other car is about 50miles away and then another 10-15 miles from a Porsche dealer... the one with 30k is three miles away and only another 3 to the Porsche dealer. I guess distance shouldn't matter thought...
Hi,

My PPI was done for me as a courtesy by an Indy Porsche mechanic in St. Louis where I bought the car. A good friend, and President of the Nat'l. Lotus Club at the time, knew the guy and cashed in a favor for me. I think most people spend $150-$250 on a PPI.

To put that into perspective, I have done several PPIs on Lotus Esprits for guys around the country interested in cars on the lot at the local Lotus Dealer.

The Dealer makes a Bay available to me for a half day (because I've moved so many cars for them) where I can do the inspection. I include a Lab Tested Oil Sample (Blackstone Labs - http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ ), Lab Tested Coolant Sample ( Analytical Testing Services - http://www.wetestit.com/ ), Exhaust Gas test, Compression Test, Fuel Pump Pressure and Flow test, Brake, Bearing, Suspension, Exhaust inspections, Electrical Inspection, Battery/Alternator Load Test, Headlight Aiming test, Previous Damage Test and inspection, Paint analysis, Interior inspection, photos of the car and trouble areas, PN#s and R&R procedures, estimated Labor costs, Road Test, etc., as well as my recommendation of what they should offer for the car based upon all similar Esprits which sold in the last year from a database I maintain, all bundled in a 10 page report.

I charge $450 for this PPI and don't always recommend the car for purchase. I have never had a single complaint on the price and have in fact received several tips from happy owners - as high as $200 on top of my fee. I regularly do about 6 of these annually, more now that the word has gotten around, even the Dealer recommends me to locals.

So, $250 is not so bad, you do get what you pay for. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #5

I'd go for the lower mileage one. RMS problems, honestly, mostly amount to an annoyance. The seal itself has been updated, so if it was recently changed, you're not likely to have any problems with it.

Low mileage will be easier (and probably cheaper?) to get an extended warranty on. Then you make sure to get a warranty that covers seals and gaskets.

Do get the PPI, though.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #6

Joe Rizza on Orland Park has the cheapest PPI price that I have found in the Chicago area.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #7

Smile

Jim is dead on.

This is a design issue, not a build quality issue. Assuming the car checks out otherwise, I would buy it without hesitiation.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #8

Thanks for the help guys. you comments are a big help.
I need to make up my mind on which car I like... that's like deciding to go on a date with Heidi Klum or Gissell... !#@%!&!@