Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #1

Carbon Fiber outside intake vent scoops?

Does anyone know where I can find these in the U.S.? I found them on a web site in Europe. But I don't want to pay for it in "euros" and loose my money in the U.S. curency/conversion from dollars to euros.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #2

Saw some on that well-known auction site. I sent the seller an email asking how they attach to the car, whether I have to drill, etc. His reply? Broken english mentioning "real carbon fiber". I believe they ship out of Taiwan.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #3

FarnbacherLoles advertises them.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #4

Is this what you are looking for???

http://www.kokeln.com/ram_air_ducts.php

I have bought and installed the non carbon fiber version and the delivery was on time and installation was very easy.

Simply remove the current intake, its only 1 screw and 3 clips, place the vents inside and reinstall the new intake.

It took me 10 minuntes and most of the time was spent unscrewing the screw (having the right screw driver would have cut install down to a few minutes).
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #5

Yes! That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much! How much do they cost? There is no price on them. By the way, I'm originally from New Orleans and graduated from LSU. Are you a tiger's fan? Loved watching them creme Notre Dame.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #6

Gary, how are the prices on that site? They have some nice products even though their Boxster looks godawful.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #7

Yes, what he said. That race boxster looks ugly. Oh well, to each his own. I can't say to much. You should see the rest of my car. I love it. Other's wont. I have red spears on the back top side of my 986. They look like the old Porsche Spyder 550 style. From the 1950's. I got the idea after visiting the RUF shop near by my house. They have a RK Spyder that they created and it has red racing spears on a black 05 boxster. Looks real good. Looks like they weren't the only ones with this in mind. I will have to post some pictures.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #8

This is a distributor. FG is $405 or CF 613/pr.

http://www.stable-energies.com/products.asp?dept=141
PCA since 1970
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #9

Talking

Here are some more pictures of my ride on Cardomain.com. You can see the red racing spears/decals on the back end. It's real sutle. Not to much. At least that's what I think.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2427891
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #10

I bought mine from Koklen directly and the prices where the same as this reseller.

Steve is a great guy lots of communication I would reccomend buying directly from him only because its a little more profit for his r&d.

Gary
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Nice ride, really like photo 10! Was that the Mrs?

I thought these side intakes were nicer and less dramatic than the others.
Just would worry about getting caught in a rain storm with them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Here are some more pictures of my ride on Cardomain.com. You can see the red racing spears/decals on the back end. It's real sutle. Not to much. At least that's what I think.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2427891
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #12

I forgot to say

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

I was in South America during the Sugar Bowl this year. it was intresting watching the game in Spainish!! But from what i heard it was better than hearing what ESPN had to say.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #13

Question Ram effect?

Gary in BR, do you notice any 'ram' effect from these side scoops? Should provide some effect at speeds over fifty I imagine and was wondering if you could refer to the old "Butt Dyno" rather than reality to enlighten me/us?

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #14

TRAVIS: "I thought these side intakes were nicer and less dramatic than the others.
Just would worry about getting caught in a rain storm with them on."

Those look like the ones I saw on the European web site. I like those too! Are those availible in the U.S. someplace? If so please let me know. I think I'm leaning more towards those and I can just get them painted to match my car. They seem to be less expensive compared to the CF.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #15

Why are they so expensive?!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #16

Ram air....

I don't really notice a ram air effect on the car....but truth be told i installed these and within a week the car was dropped of at my local shop and will be in the doctors office for another 10days. Don't worry nothing wrong I am just getting more POWER!!!

I did not install these for a perfomance increase just looks.

My idea on why they are so expensive is it is such a limited market for the part and they have to turn a profit. Plus the rumor that porsche owners have money.

Gary

PS
These do fit better than the second pictures shows, i readjusted them and now they fit tight to the boday and look stock.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Gary in BR, do you notice any 'ram' effect from these side scoops? Should provide some effect at speeds over fifty I imagine and was wondering if you could refer to the old "Butt Dyno" rather than reality to enlighten me/us?

986geezer
Hi,

I doubt there's any effect whatever. If anything, I'd say they would be more restrictive. The Stock duct is more of a NACA duct and probably better flowing as no pressure wave can build-up inside...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I was watching these on eBay (ended already) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-2004-Porsche-Boxster-TechArt-Style-Air-Intakes_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ005QQ itemZ150079494428QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Maybe shoot the guy an email and ask where he picked his up at.

Only other place I have found is: http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_boxster_body_styling.html

Don't have to worry about the euro exchange rate . . . They are still on the "£"
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Those look like the ones I saw on the European web site. I like those too! Are those availible in the U.S. someplace? If so please let me know. I think I'm leaning more towards those and I can just get them painted to match my car. They seem to be less expensive compared to the CF.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #19

NACA ducts

Hey Jim

On a NACA duct, you want that shallow sloping base and walls curving larger as you go inward right? Perhaps the boxster duct sorf of qualifies...
but the whole naca duct thing is supposed to get you faster flowing airstream that is above the boundary layer so you get a higher pressure going into the duct

if I remember my fluid dynamics correctly (which I may not!)

of couse with the "ram" intake (protruding outward rather than inward), you get higher form friction, but I bet you still get a decent pressure in the duct.

I imagine it is no better or worse than stock. It would be interesting to test it on a flow bench and measure the duct pressure.

but I did the ducts for looks too, not function. I have always thought the stock boxster ducts were one of the biggest compromises Porsche made from the concept version in 93, with the ducts low near the bottom of the rear fender ala Ferrarri. That looked SO much better IMHO than what they did in production.
I think the 987 version looks even worse with the exaggerated verticality.

Were the concept car lower ducts too expensive? Too hard to make? I wonder....you see how they did it on the 911 turbo, now those look like real NACA ducts
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #20

The concept's lower ducts were great looking. But probably would have been too likely to suck water into the duct.

PCA since 1970