Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:10 AM   #1

Brakes Locked Up...

The brakes on my 97 Boxster are locked up solid. The peddle feels like it is welded to the car it is so hard, no play at all.

I am going to get into it a little deeper this weekend and I am not a novice at working on cars - SCCA and PCA racer, mechanic, etc. and I have changed the brake fluid on this car several times before in preparation for PCA Drivers Ed events.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? What did you discover?

Thanks for any help, I've always been able to find knowledgeable people on this forum.

Steve

SteveHMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #2

Hi,

Of course, my first suspicion is the Master Cylinder, especially on a '97. Where is your Fluid level at? What is the approx. dimension of remaining Pad material and the Rotor dimension? When you swap fluid, do you use a Power Bleeder or the traditional Press the Pedal and Release method? When was the Fluid last changed? At the last Pad change, did you replace the Brake Hardware (pins, shims, etc.) in addition to the Pads? Have you checked the High Current ABS Fuse - (F1) on the Current Distributor? The ABS Control Module Fuse (B9) in the Fusebox?

I think the problem lies somehwere in the answers to these questions. At least it's the right place to start. Good Luck! Keep us informed...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #3

Didn't know about the fuses...

Thanks Jim,

Do you know exactly what the fuses do and what effect they would have on the current (pardon the pun) situation?

All the brake components are good as far as I know, I do use a power bleeder and everything was replaced about a year and a half ago prior to a PCA event in NH.

This happened quite unexpectedly. Unfortunately my wife was driving the car at the time so I don't have first hand knowledge of the symptoms prior to lock-up. I drove the car the day before she did and everything was fine.

I discovered the problem about a week later when I tried to take the car out of the garage. Then she tried to explain to me what happened. She said the brakes siezed for a moment as she approched a traffic light, but that was it.

I'm suspect the master cylinder too.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #4

Hi,

@SteveHMaine, The highest likelyhood is that the Master Cylinder has gone the way of all flesh. The MC is actually made by Lucas and a generic part is available, probably saving some dough. The Lucas PN# is PMK483 (32066700) and is a direct cross-link to Porsche PN# 996.355.910.00

But, the F1 Fuse is a High-current, 50Amp fuse (think Fusible Link). It's located in the Current Distributor which is mounted on the Firewall on the passenger side. You need to remove some of the footwell trim to access it. It is sealed with a label to prevent unauthorized access. The Fuses are mounted using 5mm nuts and run (L-R) F1-F7. The F1 Fuse handles all the ABS hardware - Pump, Modulators etc. I'm not certain, but the default mode (Blown Fuse) could well be to lock-up the system as a safety feature. Since the issue as you describe it appears to be intermittent, my suspiscion is not so strong on this being the cause. You'd want to pull the link (F1) and test it for continuity.

The B9 fuse is located in the 2nd row of the ATC Fusebox. It's function is to regulate power to the ABS Module (Brain). Again, I don't what (if any) default mode exists. If these fuses, and all the other Brake system items mentioned earlier, check out, then I'd start suspecting the ABS Module for improper function. Keep us informed - Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #5

Great Info...

Great info on the master cylinder!

This is why I love this site and "Porsche People".

Steve
Old 01-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #6

PacificPorsche

that's why I go to them, they charge $120 labor per hour, but you get what you get, my car is like brand new. I told you all about how I got a deal, when I was charged for a minor service and got major service. The car is a dream and just think, 50,000 miles til the next major change. (Although they say every 2 years, uh huh =)

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote