Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Having them out greatly greatly increases your rearward vision, and on the average day I leave the mesh inserts out because they don't do anything and block your vision.
Just my opinion!
I find the same to be true. Before picking up my Boxster, I was used to driving my father's 996, which provides a very open feel due to the rear seats and the lack of roll hoops. Being in the Boxster with the mesh installed felt less "airy", and also made it more difficult to see. With just the centre plexi windscreen in place, there isn't much turbulence in the cabin, and it feels more open.

There is no substitute.

Last edited by Padawan; 10-22-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I like your shoe lace idea or just take the shoe lace and run the zip tie through the exterior tubing of the lace. That way there secured very well and won't scratch anything.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #23

I'll likely use the black zip ties since my roll bar is black. Will they slide under the plastic trim on the front of the roll bar so as to nearly be invisible???
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #24
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure, I have never tried that. But they probably would.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #25

For the center plexiglass, I used a small piece of the fuzzy side of velcro, and wedged it where the small brackets hold the windscreen to roll bars.
It stopped all rattling and I've been very happy with it.

2001 blk/tan Boxster 18" turbo twist wheels

2003 gray/tan Navigator
rgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #26

I"ve found the best thing that helps is the rubberized electrical tape. Not the thin "standard" stuff but the thick, stretchy, rubberized stuff. Its black, so it blends in and is quite thick. I put a few pieces on all 3 corners of each rollbar insert, nice and tight and no rattles. As for the center windstop, you can replace the clips for about $2 each at your dealer which makes for a MUCH tighter fit, especially for those of you who have 10 year old cars. If that's not enough, put a small piece of the tape between the piece rollbar mount and where the clip locks to tighten up the fit. Mine are completely silent and I do not worry at all about mine blowing out.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #27

There is (finally) a TSB on the 987's center windstop. For the sides, has anyone tried these? (a site sponsor)

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #28

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
There is (finally) a TSB on the 987's center windstop. For the sides, has anyone tried these? (a site sponsor)
There's a ton of opinions on one of the forums about this product. Think about:
1. If Porsche wanted to make thesethings solid they could have easily...but they didn't.
2. These are likely to turn your windscreens into easily launches. They're know for falling out even with the perforations!
3. $77 for a lexan cut out and a bolt???
Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
I'll likely use the black zip ties since my roll bar is black. Will they slide under the plastic trim on the front of the roll bar so as to nearly be invisible???

OK.... did it just now. Drilled two 3/16 holes in the bottom frame of the center windstop and snaked zipties around the rollbar. Also added a smaller ziptie around each outside edge around the rollbar.

The ties on the center piece also lean a bit on the plastic frame giving it a tightening effect as well. Now I will not have to worry at over 130mph... . Won't be makin' any Porsche litter on the highway now.

Regarding security, unless someone has a knife or snips plus a little "stand there" time, they can't just grab parts and run.

You judge the photos.

Good to get all the forum ideas...

Bob
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #30
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ That's the best way to do it.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
There's a ton of opinions on one of the forums about this product. Think about:
1. If Porsche wanted to make thesethings solid they could have easily...but they didn't.
2. These are likely to turn your windscreens into easily launches. They're know for falling out even with the perforations!
3. $77 for a lexan cut out and a bolt???
I agree with you, btw...!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #32

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I've done 135 with the top down and the windstop or screens never come loose on my 118k mile boxster.

I did add alot of plush circles to the contact points/plastic tabs to quiet everything up and that is also making them more snug.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote