Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #1

Aftermarket Nav System Questions

I'm interested in installing a 2-DIN nav system in my 02 986 (removing the cupholders and the head unit). I've found some threads that say a custom bezel is needed. Is this true? Is there an aftermarket system that fits well in a 2002 Boxster? Is it really that expensive (all costs considered) for the installer to make a bezel, if that's what's needed?

Also, does anybody have a strong preference for a particular model? Seems like the AVIC and Eclipse options are pretty popular.

Finally, are the portable options out there (TomTom, Nuvi, etc.) any good?

Thanks!

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
boggtown

You dont need a custom bezel. I dont have one, it just doesnt look stock, or flush with the rest of the console. Thats about it.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
If it were in my budget I would opt for the Eclipse AVN7000 but alas I must go with Tom Tom

To get an idea what systems fit and the reviews, I would usually go to sites like Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dS6c6vuk7DU/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=182350
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
for day to day driving i dont need a navigation at all. i just purchsed a magellan 700 on ebay for almost free, in like-new condition (meaning this thing doesnt even have a scratch on it, no joke), so i just have it sitting in the rear shelf, and if i do need directions i would pull it out and plug it in and find my way home, no need to have it sticking on the windshield 24/7 just another reason for someone to break into my car.
the fact that it talks to you is awesome, i sometime feel like i should just have it sit in the rear shelf and listen to i tell me where to go instead of looking at it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #5

I do an extensive amount of travel for my job. I have a portable Garmin Street Pilot and it's great. I occasionally take it in the Porsche with its windshield mount suction bracket, but rarely. It's really great in rental cars out of town. All North America is pre-loaded and I've never been lost since getting it. About $325.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

Pioneer has just announced the AVIC-D3 system which looks awesome.
It will be available in March for around $1k
Just google AVIC-D3 and start drooling
That's what I will put in my car!
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Pioneer has just announced the AVIC-D3 system which looks awesome.
It will be available in March for around $1k
Just google AVIC-D3 and start drooling
That's what I will put in my car!
That is truly a sweet component (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_w3UZIEo8k)

But I would really have to draw the line on the price of a Head-Unit/NAV system that I would put into a convertible, just to easy to slice and take; then you are out a nice system, top and dash.

Maybe a little paranoid, but have had my top (not the Box) sliced before to get a cheaper unit.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallas

Finally, are the portable options out there (TomTom, Nuvi, etc.) any good?

Thanks!
I take my Tomtom 910 everywhere, has all the maps preloaded on its harddrive, in fact I am spending the weekend in Italy and just did 150+km's of twisties going from Savona to Torino by the back roads, tommorrow I fly to Frankfurt and will use it to find the Porsche museum as I have it as a "POI". The thing is faster then my wifes preloaded GM nav system that runs off of a DVD and is easier to hide and replace if stolen. Shop around, if you only use North America you can get something for $300, I spend two weeks each month in the EU so I needed a few more maps.

Ciao!!
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #9

I got a Garmin StreetPilot i5 for Christmas and I must say I am very impressed by this little device. It came preloaded with maps for the entire US, and for $350 you cannot beat it ! Plus, it is battery operated ( I hate wires ! ), and it seems to have all the features the more expensive models have. I would highly recommend it !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #10

I'm kinda thinking about getting a bluetooth GPS receiver, and mounting it in the front trunk... then buy a decent PDA with bluetooth to use in the cabin. Get one of those stick on mounts and it should work fine. I could get that all done for about $500. Most dedicated GPS nav units are much more expensive!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote