Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #1

gtmotorsports humps...

Hey, if anyone owns Genuine Factory Humps from Porsche and has used them, please respond to this thread...

How is the fit? Do they marr the paint on the clamshell? And importantly, can you raise your windows and ope and close your doors with the windows up without bumping into the sides of them?

Another forum member called me today to tell me his set from gtmotorsports.com are not good quality and he can't roll up his windows with them on, plus the fit isn't that great.

I also have a pair I was about to get painted and didn't roll up the windows, but I am going to do that before I get them painted.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #2

Hi Randall ! I have the humps, but have only used them once. Fit is excellent, they do not marr the paint on the clamshell, and I can raise the windows and open and close the doors ( windows up ) without hitting them.

They attach to the roll bars with L shaped hooks ( not velcro ), so the windscreen does not have to be removed to install the humps. The only problem I had is they also attach to the two spots where the hard top would attach, and I scratched my car with the part that inserts into these holes

In short, there are three contact points for each of the two speed humps, one at the rollbar, one on the clamshell, and one where the hardtop would attach.

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks, Nick. I think I'm going to return these then and find some factory humps in black that no one wants or uses any longer.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

Hint Hint ?

When's your Birthday

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #5

March 12th, since you asked!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #6

OK everyone, GTMotorsports asked me to send back both sets of humps they shipped me. Both sets were not in "paint ready" condition, were a very tight fit, and I could not roll up my windows while using them. Back they go.

I'm guessing the lesson in all this is you get what you pay for... they were being sold for $345 or something like that and I should have guessed that it was just too cheap compared to all the other places selling aftermarket humps.

However, $350 is about all these humps are worth as they are simply for looks!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
OK everyone, GTMotorsports asked me to send back both sets of humps they shipped me. Both sets were not in "paint ready" condition, were a very tight fit, and I could not roll up my windows while using them. Back they go.

I'm guessing the lesson in all this is you get what you pay for... they were being sold for $345 or something like that and I should have guessed that it was just too cheap compared to all the other places selling aftermarket humps.

However, $350 is about all these humps are worth as they are simply for looks!

Quality never costs more! Sometimes poor quality is very expensive!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #8

You speak the truth!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #9

Latest in the saga of the GTMotorsports speedster humps...

Rob, the owner, called me just now to say he has sent out new sets of humps to everyone who bought his first batch and they're all happy now. Windows roll up fine now, fitment is far better, and they're not gel coated so they're far smoother than the pairs he sent me earlier.

I agreed to take a third replacement set to see what they look like. I will report back to you and tell you if this new design is better and if it will work for me. Nick, stay tuned... I might not need to buy your factory set after all!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #10

Speedster humps

Even factory humps, if not adjusted and installed properly, will cause a problem with the windows and opening/closing the doors. The mounting hardware on the humps is adjustable and should be adjusted as required for each installation to compensate for alignments of the clamshell to which the speedster humps will be fitted to. A minor missalignment of the clamshell will impact the alignment of the speedster humps. An as a result it will affect the operation of the windows and/or opening/closing of the doors with the windows raised.

John
szentej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #11

Randall, how about forgetting the humps? Your Box looks far better without those things clipped on it. Just IMO.

Z.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Good luck, Randall, that's really nice of the owner to offer replacements in an attempt to satisfy customers. Let me know how it turns out...

szentej, I have never had window or door closing issues with the factory speed humps. The front of the humps attach to where the hardtop would attach, so as far as I could tell there was not a lot of adjusting that could be done.

z12358, I like the look, but since I don't leave the car unattended with the top down it is too much of a pain in the rear to remove them when I park the car ( and I can't figure out how to get them to fit in the rear trunk )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 02-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #13

Please post some close up pictures so we can all see the fit and finish. I'm interested in buying a set of humps from them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Latest in the saga of the GTMotorsports speedster humps...

Rob, the owner, called me just now to say he has sent out new sets of humps to everyone who bought his first batch and they're all happy now. Windows roll up fine now, fitment is far better, and they're not gel coated so they're far smoother than the pairs he sent me earlier.

I agreed to take a third replacement set to see what they look like. I will report back to you and tell you if this new design is better and if it will work for me. Nick, stay tuned... I might not need to buy your factory set after all!
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #14

Speedster Humps

NickCats, the spinlocks, where they attach to the speedster humps is in fact adjustable. By loosening the locknuts, the spinlocks can be moved forward to force the speedster humps further back. Thus moving them back away from the windows. If the clamshell is not properly alligned, it will prevent the speedster humps from being installed correctly to clear the windows.
John
szentej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #15

I have a pair of the factory SpeedHumps like new painted Seal Grey Metallic, and I have the original instruction booklets, along with the oem original speedster hump covers as well, if anyone is interested in them, let me know....
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #16

Chaudanova,

What do you want for them? I have a Seal Grey 2001 and if they would fit, I would be interested. Let me know.

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by szentej
NickCats, the spinlocks, where they attach to the speedster humps is in fact adjustable. By loosening the locknuts, the spinlocks can be moved forward to force the speedster humps further back. Thus moving them back away from the windows. If the clamshell is not properly alligned, it will prevent the speedster humps from being installed correctly to clear the windows.
John
Thanks for the info ! I did not know that...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 02-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #18

Anyone have any experience with the fiberglas aftermarket speedhumps for sale on E-bay? Are they quality pieces? Do they attach adequately? Paint done professionally? Wife likes the looks and I missed out on a pair of OEMs recently. Opinions welcome, good or bad... Sold by Directcartoys, painted factory colors for $800. Are these different from the $345 unpainted ones we're talking about here?

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #19

web site?

Can someone give me the curently active gtmotorsports web site link? I keep getting a page that says comming soon.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #20

http://www.gtmotorsport.net/