Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #1

Water under seats

The other day it rained and after I got in my car i decided to see if if any rain got in. Well to my surprise it got in a lot behind the seats on the floor. It was really damp . I know that there was something about this on one of the sites saying the drains being clogged or something to that effect any got a picture of these drains and instructions on what i am looking for please.. i got some kind pool in my car.. Just some info I have a hardtop on the car now and checked the seal around the hard top already

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #2

Hi,

Be sure to place lots of wet towels under the Drivers seat to insure that all the water is picked up before it frys the Alarm and Immobilizer Control Module. This happens frequently and the unit is very expensive to replace...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #3

any suggestions on how to fix it? like anything why the water would come in? Also i was thinking of put that alittle blk box in a plastic bag so now water gets in
Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #4

There are drain holes fore and aft to be cleared if they are clogged. The best idea I would have for you would be to buy a Bentley Repair manual for your boxster (excellent bedtime reading, by the way) and find them and clean them out.

Any way to park your car under cover or in a garage until you get this sorted out?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #5

Hi,

Well, I would vacuum the area under the seat, probably remove the seat to insure getting all the water up. My car is never in the rain, but if it were exposed to the elements, and considering how expensive the Control Module is and how easily it can fry, as a protective measure I'd probably remove it from the floor and set it in one of those Rubbermaid containers and screw it back down. That way, you need to get better than an inch of water in the car before it could rise over the sides of the container and attack the Control Module. I wouldn't put a top on the container to avoid trapping moisture which could cause the same problem. Since it's under the seat, it would be all but invisible, but offer good protection. Hope this helps...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Well, I would vacuum the area under the seat, probably remove the seat to insure getting all the water up. My car is never in the rain, but if it were exposed to the elements, and considering how expensive the Control Module is and how easily it can fry, as a protective measure I'd probably remove it from the floor and set it in one of those Rubbermaid containers and screw it back down. That way, you need to get better than an inch of water in the car before it could rise over the sides of the container and attack the Control Module. I wouldn't put a top on the container to avoid trapping moisture which could cause the same problem. Since it's under the seat, it would be all but invisible, but offer good protection. Hope this helps...

Interesting - very creative Jim.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #7

Great idea, MNBoxster! Paint the container black and use a rubber grommet for each of the screws. Water tight and invisible.

Good luck,

JPOG
jpog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i had water there as well, couldnt figure out how it got there, then i looked on the other side, and what do you know one screw that was holding a plastic piece under the car was missing, so i just put one one and now no more water in there
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #9

does anyone have actual picture of these drains?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #10

here you go:

Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #11

what are they using as a tool a screwdriver? There is that many drains? Also i am assuming i need to put the top up in the service mode to clean ome of the drains.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 AM   #12

Hi

I have another thread going on here on www.renntech.org

too much to copy so just a link, but feel free to copy parts over here

Also any suggestions are more then welcome.

thanks

Last edited by Velryba; 05-31-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Velryba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #13

I had the same problem... even got standing water up near the security control module... it wasn't fried, but I think for some reason it activated the starter kill, because when it happened, I couldn't start the car. Everything came on, it just wouldn't engage the starter.

Put it in service mode and find the drain hole in the molded foam piece on either side. I just stuck my finger in there and broke loose the crap that was in there. Poured a little water down there, and they flow fine.

I have not checked the front drains, but will do so soon.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #14

i noticed that one of my foam pads with a hole is pretttty ripped.
i kinda repaired it for the time beaing, but id like to get a new one, i cant imagine that they are expencive.

anyone know where to order this from?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
HB.

Does anyone have any actual live pictures where the drains are located. I'm having a tough time locating them from the diagrams.

Thanks
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #16

this just happned to me last night - my rear drains were clogged and i was carrying around a bathtub full of water - thankfully none of it got into the car at all.

here is a picture of the driver's side rear drain tube - it is the the actual HOLE at the end of the deep section of the plastic under neath the convertible top. it is located at the same spont on teh passenger side.

in order to see and get access to this drain, you need to start opening your convertible top, once the top has gone about 10 inches away from the windshield - stop moving it - this is called the "service position". now, with the top in this positon, you can see and get to these drains.
Attached Images

johnsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I had the same problem... even got standing water up near the security control module... it wasn't fried, but I think for some reason it activated the starter kill, because when it happened, I couldn't start the car. Everything came on, it just wouldn't engage the starter.

Put it in service mode and find the drain hole in the molded foam piece on either side. I just stuck my finger in there and broke loose the crap that was in there. Poured a little water down there, and they flow fine.

I have not checked the front drains, but will do so soon.
How did you resolve your starter kill issue? I may be having the exact same issue. Thanks!

Ben

Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote