Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #1

Help!! Out of town & Tiptronic boxster stuck on park.

Was visiting my parents out of town and it was very extremely cold last night.I left the car overnight outside.This morning the car would start fine,but i can't shift it to drive(is tiptronic).When I step down on the brake the brake lights does not come on.Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks for the help.

P.S Btw is a 99.

dave986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #2

there might be a sensor on the brake linkage that is not working. It would cause your brake lights to come on and may also unlock your transmission. I have a couple of Audis with the triptronic and they won't shift unless the brake is depresssed.
funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #3

Hi,

When you depress the Brake Pedal, can you also depress the Shifter Button? Since the lights are not working, I suspect you have a failed/failing ignition switch and lockout mechanism. Keep trying because it may work sufficiently to get it into drive so you can return home or take it for service. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the help guys.Fortunately after leaving the car on for 30 mins I was able to put it in drive.Was it possible that something froze because to the low temparature or is there something I should get checked out??

MNBoxster
No I wasn't able the press down on the shifter.The brakes lights wasn't coming on as I press the brake pedal also.

dave
dave986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave986
Thanks for the help guys.Fortunately after leaving the car on for 30 mins I was able to put it in drive.Was it possible that something froze because to the low temparature or is there something I should get checked out??

MNBoxster
No I wasn't able the press down on the shifter.The brakes lights wasn't coming on as I press the brake pedal also.

dave
Hi,

My guess is that you picked up some slush which then froze and prevented the Brake Pedal from releasing the lock-out mechanism. This mechanism prevents the shift selector button from being depressed if the Brake Pedal is not 1st depressed, and this sounds like what had happened to you...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote