Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #1

Tiptronic ATF change question...

Hi,

I am in the process of changing the Tiptronic ATF and filter in my 1997 Boxster .

My Boxster Service Manual shows two fill capacities for the Tiptronic ATF change -

"Fluid change quantity 3.5 liters and transmission fill quantity (including torque converter) 9 liters."

When I drained the pan I got approx. 3.5 liters. Where is the other 5.5 liters and how do I change it?

Steve

SteveHMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
bmussatti

This will help:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6894&page=2&pp=20&highlight=transmission+fluid
Old 12-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #3

Hi,

Why are you changing the fluid? Because of a leak? This could account for the loss of fluid along with misjudging the amount collected. There is no other procedure for draining the fluid. It is possible that you have bad toroidal sealing rings on the tranny's Inner Oil Tube. If these leak, tranny fluid can be drawn into the differential and force Diff. Oil/ATF from the Diff.'s vent, check this vent for signs of fluid leak. If found, replace sealing rings when you have the pan off for the filter change.

You can start the engine and let it idle in 'P' for a minute or two, this will pump any remaining fluid to the pan. Be sure to have the pan attached and don't idle for more than 2-3 min. at most.

Then, when refilling, be sure fluid and tranny are heated to 30°C-40°C (86°F-104°F). To minimize running the engine when the tranny is low, I always pre-heat the ATF by placing it in a container and setting that in a pan of warm water until the required temp is reached. Also, be careful not to pop off the splash cap by putting the filling tube in too far into the fill hole. It fills from a side opening, so you need a filler tool which is hooked. Also, if changing fluid for a mileage service interval (or if Inner Oil Tube seals are bad), don't forget the differential fluid. This is changed by removing the fill plug, and then using a thin tube and a mity-vac or such, sucking the old oil from the Final Drive. Be sure to measure the amount extracted and replace with a similar amount. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote