Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2024, 09:39 AM   #1

Headlight Corner Reflector Broke

While pulling my housing out to change a bulb, I accidentally grabbed the corner reflector and broke off the tab that holds the front corner on.

Got back to work and put on some thick 2-part epoxy to attach that point directly to the headlight housing, hopefully it holds. If it falls off, then I'll buy a new one.

Anyone else have ideas on other things that I could do about it? the epoxy will take a few hours to cure so I can still wipe if off (for now).

S50Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S50Sinner View Post
While pulling my housing out to change a bulb, I accidentally grabbed the corner reflector and broke off the tab that holds the front corner on.

Got back to work and put on some thick 2-part epoxy to attach that point directly to the headlight housing, hopefully it holds. If it falls off, then I'll buy a new one.

Anyone else have ideas on other things that I could do about it? the epoxy will take a few hours to cure so I can still wipe if off (for now).
just speaking for myself but i just went the route of headlights without those pieces, I never saw the reason WHY they would even do that when replacements are so expensive. There are tons of headlight options that are all in one which is what i did. the price you pay for just that little piece is the price you could pay for a whole new headlight on a Dodge Ram. Not worth for me and was well worth just buying a pair that didnt have those to worry about
Hamstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S50Sinner View Post

You could run a strip of clear PPF along wherevthe edges meed the headlights.
JBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 07:00 PM   #4

I simply used super glue. Stays on even past 100mph.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 05:39 AM   #5

Swapping for headlights without reflectors is an option, Hamstuh, but some folks like the stock look. For the epoxy, S50Sinner, make sure the surface is clean before applying for a strong bond. Super glue (like Beelzy mentioned) can work too, but be careful not to get it on the lens itself. Good luck with the fix.
warner_markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, it's holding strong so far. I'll make sure to give it a little push with my hands every once in a while, if it pops off under finger pressure I'll try sanding the surface and re-applying the epoxy with more contact points.

I definitely agree that they don't need to be separate pieces, but I like the OEM lights, and plan to restore mine at some point, maybe paint the insides of the housings like particlewave did a decade ago. I'm a big fan of the amber turn signals and old-school reflector housings.

I'll update if/when they fall off.

S50Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote