Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2024, 04:09 AM   #1

Check engine light swiched on after 102K

Hi, Ive got a 2007 Boxster with 102k miles. Today the check engine light went on. Never saw it before. It says I should 'visit workshop'. Should I stop driving it until I can get it checked out? IS there any way I can get more info about the problem? Or is it more like like the light turns on after a specified amount of time?

Thanks

lurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 04:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
Hi, Ive got a 2007 Boxster with 102k miles. Today the check engine light went on. Never saw it before. It says I should 'visit workshop'. Should I stop driving it until I can get it checked out? IS there any way I can get more info about the problem? Or is it more like like the light turns on after a specified amount of time?

Thanks
First and cheapest step you can do is go to AutoZone and ask if you can use their scanner. If you need help with scanning codes I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping as well. Once they scan it, you can see what code(s) pop up and google them. The codes tend to be pretty straight forward with what they are for. Sometimes they can be Porsche specific so make sure to make your search something like:

"Code P9999 2007 Porsche Boxster"

It really comes down to how severe the code itself is. If you take care of your car, most times they come on, they end up being a sensor, though it varies. If you don't want to spend a lot id suggest AutoZone first, if you have plenty of money to spare you can always just go to a shop but checking it is 100% a priority

Last edited by Hamstuh; 08-27-2024 at 04:30 AM.
Hamstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 05:33 AM   #3

Garage
My understanding is that if it is really serious the CEL will be blinking. I agree with Hamstuh, check the light. You can get a cheap scanner for less than $20 on Amazon, I keep one in my Boxster because I get intermittent codes on sensors that seem to be approaching their end of life. I check that they are not serious/important and turn them off.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 01:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply!! the engine light is not blinking so im trying to get the code, I got my hands on a Intey OBD (ny-om329) auto reader. Do you happen to know if this will work on a 2007 boxster? IT appears to be pretty old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstuh View Post
First and cheapest step you can do is go to AutoZone and ask if you can use their scanner. If you need help with scanning codes I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping as well. Once they scan it, you can see what code(s) pop up and google them. The codes tend to be pretty straight forward with what they are for. Sometimes they can be Porsche specific so make sure to make your search something like:

"Code P9999 2007 Porsche Boxster"

It really comes down to how severe the code itself is. If you take care of your car, most times they come on, they end up being a sensor, though it varies. If you don't want to spend a lot id suggest AutoZone first, if you have plenty of money to spare you can always just go to a shop but checking it is 100% a priority
lurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
Thanks for the reply!! the engine light is not blinking so im trying to get the code, I got my hands on a Intey OBD (ny-om329) auto reader. Do you happen to know if this will work on a 2007 boxster? IT appears to be pretty old.
I have personally not used that one before however so long as it functions as a proper OBD scanner it should be fine. there are instances where codes can be Porsche specific, though generally dont cause any issues unless you want to do certain things other than scanning itself. ive used all types of scanners on mine from snapon to cheap amazon ones too without any issues. Just verify it has the proper OBD connection type (most are the same anyway) and verify the scanner itself works.

Hamstuh is offline   Reply With Quote