Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2024, 11:43 AM   #1

New to me Boxster projects.

Just thought i would start this thread as others who are new to the car might be interested....

Just got the car and it has Chain out of position message and cat inefficiency codes. Car has lots of issues but i bought it as a project so i don't mine. It is actually my sons car but i am helping hom get it going...

it has 170K on it and clutch was done 40k ago ( km)

So first thing was to get it in the air so we could check the variocam.

1. Jacking.

it was quite the adventure and jack bars are definitely the way to go, but since we didn't have nany we just used jacks, first put the car on two pieces of 2 by 10. then slow;y went a corner at a time with the jack stands under the hard points. We jacked under a reenforced are so we could use the hard points for the jack pads.

it is a slightly inclined driveway so we ended up off the ground 18 inches at the back and 17 inches at the front. i wasn't comfortable with any higher than this and so far so good.

2. interior.

We took the seats , and centre console out along with the radio and temp control unit. I have heard this is the time to fix the foam blowing issue , but i'm not sure about that yet.
Because we didn't want to deal with the airbag light we disconnected the battery. Seats are now in the basement being cleaned. and conditioned. we steam cleaned the carpet and the difference is quite shocking.... apparently seal grey isn't actually green lol.

3. .. The front bumper has had work and been repainted poorly, colour is right but clear has runs in it.. The odd part is you can see a big cutout gap in front of both lights right at the headlight washer.. and there is too big a gap along the front edge of the hood.. We took it off but cant see why. Everything looks right, so more work required here. cleaned out rads etc. i wonder if it is even the correct bumper .

4. cooling..

we went under to check the underneath and noticed immediately that the water pump was dripping. at that miles figure this was expected.. we decided to flush the coolant , replace water pump and stat. didn't want to work on the engine being dripped on the whole time...
Then as we were draining it we realized we cant get into the rear trunk. as we have the battery disconnected and the seats in the basement .. oh no ......

back to body ...

apparently there is a release cable for the rear as well as the front so we went hunting for it .
lots of conflicting info . we eventually found it taped up by removing the driver side rear fender liner... popped the trunk and we were on our way again. ( more on this later. )

also found out this was a track car and had a few excursions, car needs rear drivers side header ( cat broken,) and there is a whole structural triangle piece missing off the back.

we did remove the coils and half the tubes came out. we are going to just pop those back in while we degrease the engine in prep for the cam covers to come off.

18 back 17 front: I will update if it was enough to do variocam pads.

Last edited by theiceman; 08-26-2024 at 12:17 PM.
theiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 12:29 PM   #2

fasteners to remove to find rear trunk pull ...

first jack car and remove rear wheel . can be seen as soon as wheel is removed:

holding on outside of bumper cover top of wheel well at back

lower bumper cover screws at back underneath.:

Now bumper cover can be pulled away from body to access the following fasteners ...

right behind bumper cover.

behind fender liner towards back. :

Now the fender liner should pull away revealing the cable taped to the frame .

I think i found the spot to feed it through for future , but undecided how to fasten it. It can be easily rerouted now so future access is easy.

pulled through gap in fender liner..

theiceman is offline   Reply With Quote