Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2024, 06:34 AM   #1

It's been a while - trying to recomission my Boxster

Have a 2002 Boxster 2.7
I have been trying to recomission - have not posted for a while - lots going on...
So bck to where I am....
Car was in dry storage for many years....
Put new fuel in and changed fob batteries...
lots of turning but nothing....
Then after a loat of easy start it fired and ran....
but did not get change to rev it or such....
Could not work out if teh fuel pump was working...
but life events meant could do no more...

Then had another go, but could not be sure if teh imobilizer was being disabled by the fob, and it didn't seem to lock remotely easily...

Well needed to put battery on charge so disconnected it...
and accidently shut the bonnet arghhhh
So today started looking for the emergency bonnet pull, someone told me was inside the drivers wheel arch (RHD car) errrrrrrr no it now seems it is in the other one...
so need to put everything back and strio the other side agrhhhhh

so my saga continues...
any way of testing the key fobs? I did buy descent Duracell batteries, could they have gone down so quickly?

Bigv twin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 07:44 AM   #2

Ima paste a helpful list that others have posted before too regarding the keyfob:

From the service manual:

The hand-held transmitter radio remote control function is unavailable under the following 5 circumstances:

1. Empty battery

2. Radio transmitter outside lock-in range: If the transmitter is operated more than 256 times without reaching the associated receiver (vehicle outside range or vehicle battery disconnected), the vehicle will not recognize the radio transmitter. If the number of operations is below 1,024, it is possible to re-synchronize:

Switch on ignition with key and valid transponder.

Switch off ignition.

Remove ignition key from steering lock.

Operate transmitter within 6 seconds after the key is removed.

3. Interference due to other users on same radio frequency: The key may be used to unlock the door manually, but this will not disarm the immobilizer (alarm). To disarm the alarm, insert the key in the ignition and turn.

4. Energy-saving mode: After 5 days of inactivity, the vehicle's radio receiver is switched off. The radio receiver will reactivate after the vehicle is started.

5. Fault in hand-held transmitter or vehicle: If the LED on the hand-held transmitter stays dark when the transmitter is operated, this means the battery is empty or the transmitter is faulty. If the LED on the hand-held transmitter flashes and the alarm readiness lamp on the dashboard flashes, then the transmitter and receiver are communicating. If the dashboard readiness lamp stays dark and conditions 1 to 4 above are ruled out, then there is a system fault with the vehicle.
Hamstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 11:13 PM   #3

Here’s a quick rundown on keyfob issues:

Empty Battery: Replace it.
Out of Range: Re-sync by following the service manual steps.
Interference: Manual unlock and use the ignition key to disarm the alarm.
Energy-Saving Mode: Start the vehicle to reactivate the receiver.
Faulty Fob/Receiver: Check the LED on the fob; if it’s off, replace or repair the fob.
Hope this helps!
abuislam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:05 AM   #4

First you have to open the bonnet..

Bigv twin996, before anything else, you have to open the bonnet..

I would suggest to supply a 12VDC power to the cigarette lighter plug, this will allow you to open the front compartment (this is way easier than fishing for the emergency cable..)

The 12VDC should be from an external battery as usually a battery charger will not have enough amps to open the frunk, good luck!.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 09:59 PM   #5

Great tip! Using a 12VDC power source through the cigarette lighter is a smart way to access the front compartment without dealing with the emergency cable. Just make sure the external battery has enough amps to power it. Thanks for sharing!

abuislam is offline   Reply With Quote