Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2024, 08:33 PM   #1

Camshaft deviation 0° ?!

Hello everyone,

I've only ever driven my 997 and have no comparison with a Boxster. My 2000 2.7l Boxster seems “very lame” to me, as if I were pulling a trailer.

I have read it out with the Durametric, there are no errors/no CEL. But when scrolling through the values, I noticed that there is a camshaft deviation bank 1 of > -5° but 0° on bank 2. This is certainly not correct.

3 questions:

1. What do you recommend doing here?
2. Could this explain the “lame behavior”?
3. Do I have to act generally at >5°?

Edit: forgot to mention that I found some brown crumbs in the oil filter.

Last edited by 997_986; 08-15-2024 at 08:37 PM.
997_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 11:25 PM   #2

Can’t answer about your cars behavior. Eurospec boxsters had only one cam sensor - bank 1 only. I don’t know why. Spec is +/-6. You are still in spec but should watch out for plastic bits in your oil filter and shouldn’t let the deviation go over 8.

You do realize the boxster only has 200 hp compared to the 997 which has 325 hp. The 997 weights a bit more but not enough to make a difference. The boxster is not as fast as the 911. It is a different experience. But it is far from being a slow car. You can drive a boxster a lot harder without exceeding speed limits or road condition limits compared to the 997. Sometimes it’s more fun to drive a slower car fast.
spinjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 12:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinjockey View Post
Can’t answer about your cars behavior. Eurospec boxsters had only one cam sensor - bank 1 only. I don’t know why. Spec is +/-6. You are still in spec but should watch out for plastic bits in your oil filter and shouldn’t let the deviation go over 8.
Thank you, I was not aware of that, but it explains "0". And yes, I have these particles and I think it needs to be adressed asap.
The car has to be driven by someone who is able to compare it to other Boxsters or I need a dyno.

Edit: This article mentions a significant difference in power with new chain guides as a single measure....I don't understand that.
https://fifthgear.biz/fifthgear-blog/porsche-quotvariocamquot-oiling-problem-and-premature-engine-failure-more-to-the-story/

Last edited by 997_986; 08-16-2024 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:42 AM   #4

It is true that the guides do wear and once the deviation gets out of spec there is a significant risk of chain slip which will cause the engine to lose time. This is a major source of the quoted engine damage. The chain guides are a maintenance item. At -5.3, I doubt you are seeing any associated performance issues.

If your not seeing any signs of rough running, then your probably just fine. That said these cars are getting up there in age and things like a dirty mass. Air flow sensor and small vacuum leaks cause performance degradation even if they don’t result in a current check engine light. Don’t drive yourself crazy. Look for obvious signs of rough running like idle stability. Then check obvious sources like MAF, AOS, fuel pressure, etc.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:32 AM   #5

Thanks. I checked the MAF for obvious dirt etc. but it was clean, I unplugged it and forced standard values for a short drive. No difference.
The idle is perfectly smooth, *much* smoother than on my 997.
I checked the throttle body, it's a bit oily but otherwise clean, the AOS was replaced short time ago.
I will adress vacuum lines shortly. But these brown bits and pieces in the oil filter point to a degradation of the guides. That's why I think I should work on that as well.

Maybe it's time for a Sprint Booster ;-)
Old 08-16-2024, 04:46 AM   #6

Agree that if you are seeing debris in the filter you should address soon.

Your 997 has Variocam plus and the boxster only has the original variocam. The result is a much more tuned response across the rpm range in the 997 compared to the boxster which doesn’t come on cam until 3000 rpms or so. BTW keeping your rpm’s low increases chain wear because of increased chain contact with the pads at low rpms.

Last edited by spinjockey; 08-16-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 02:48 AM   #7

Great info! And yes, these cars and need to be moved properly ;-)