Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #1

storage of a tiptronic

I have a 06 Cayman S but I haven't had much help with any issues on the caymanclub forum; so I thought I would ask you guys....since you have always helped with my boxster issues.

Anyway here is my problem with my CS:

I have a CS with tiptronic and am storing it for the winter.

I have increased the tire pressure as recommended but I want to move it a few feet every couple of months. The car obviously has to be in neutral to do this. I would like to leave it in N...so I don't have to remove the cover and start the engine.

I just realized that I can't put it into neutral without starting the engine.
AND...I can't leave it in N after stopping the engine because I can't remove the key.
I would rather not start the engine at all until spring.
What do you think?

06 Black Metallic Cayman S
Sold my Box S to #1 son

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
TerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #2

Hi,

Your best bet is to store it and leave it. No reason to move it. Flatspotting isn't the issue it once was with steel belted tires. The Fabric (Kevlar and Aramid) belted tires don't have a permanent memory and the tires (if they flatspot at all) will round out as soon as the pressure is readjusted and brought up to temperature in spring.

There are also rubber mats which claim to prevent the flatspotting, but these are not really necessary. I store 4 cars annually, and never move them, never had an issue with the tires. So far as the TipS is concerned, it'll be OK just to leave it. For more info on Winter Storage see this thread: http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7567&highlight=Winter+Storage Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote