Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2024, 05:42 PM   #1
00' Porsche Boxster 2.7L

Ignition Switch Replacement

Greetings all,

I just finished replacing the Ignition Switch in my 2000 Porsche Boxster and it fixed all my problems.

Does the following sound familiar?

- Key doesn't spring back to the "ON" position after starting the car, and you have to manually rotate the key counter-clockwise 1/4 of a turn to get your accessories to turn on?
- When turning off the car, sometimes the accessories will remain powered even though the key has been removed or is in the "OFF" position?
- Sometimes the key will get stuck in the ignition and requires applying pressure and randomly turning the key until the ignition finally decides to let go of the key?
- Car Alarm will sound 15-60 seconds after locking the car (this is due to the car thinking that the ignition is being tampered with but this issue seems to be resolved after replacing the Ignition Switch)

If you're experiencing one or more of these issues, it's very likely that the problem is with your "Ignition Switch."

Fret not, this part is $15 and you can order it on Amazon and have it delivered in 1 day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0066SFYMO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
OR search "Porsche Boxster Ignition Switch"
OR search "4A0905849B"

Do note that you're going to need a very, very, very small flat head screwdriver; and lots of patience and/or beer.

The job itself is actually very easy... on paper. But getting those tiny f***ing set screws out will make you throw a tantrum like a child. I won't post the process for the actual job itself here, as there are so many good tutorials on YouTube and I wouldn't be explaining anything that isn't already explained there.

My advice to you if you need to do this for your Boxster, the part is cheap and you can get it on Amazon; don't postpone it for 12 months like I did. Just go to your nearest hardware store and buy the smallest flathead screwdriver they have and then the rest is just up to finding the right angle to position your body. (You won't be able to get both arms/hands under the dash so don't even try.) You're going to have to get those screws out with one hand... and it's gonna suck.

Flatheads between 1/32' and 1/16' seem to work.

Good luck!