Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2024, 10:13 PM   #1

Matte black interior paint

After my new leather seat covers from Lseat are installed, I'll turn my attention to the center console and the flip-up armrests in the door panels, the satin black finishes of which are moderately scratched up. The fix: repaint them. I think I'm going to use paint designed for another use: brake caliper paint. Why? Because it's a very tough finish, nearly indestructible. Unlike the finish now on the armrests and center console, it won't chip or scratch easily. I've used it before, but in another color, to paint brake calibers and drums. Bonus: It will withstand temperatures up to 900 degrees!

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP739-Satin-Black-Caliper/dp/B000CPJLVW

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-16-2024 at 10:21 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #2

I would hesitate to use high temp on the interiors as perhaps a paint designed for plastic may stick better into plastic (IMHO)..
I believe that there are some members here that had painted their interiors with good results, good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I would hesitate to use high temp on the interiors as perhaps a paint designed for plastic may stick better into plastic (IMHO)..
I believe that there are some members here that had painted their interiors with good results, good luck!
Good point. I'll test it first on similar plastic. I've used this type of paint before, for the use it was intended. As someone who worked in her brother-in-law's auto body and paint shop after school throughout high school and college, not to mention Saturdays, it seems to me satin black VHT would be ideal. I know it to be an extremely tough finish. But as I said, I'll see how it does on some test plastic. Thanks for bringing up that point, Gilles.
5-speed manual
Old 04-17-2024, 07:30 PM   #4

Have you considered covering the flip up armrests on the doors in leather? I've used the instructions in this link and covered a few pieces: https://www.pedrosgarage.com/site-3/leather-upholstering.html

I have found the leather durable and more pleasant to touch than the painted plastic.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Have you considered covering the flip up armrests on the doors in leather? I've used the instructions in this link and covered a few pieces: https://www.pedrosgarage.com/site-3/leather-upholstering.html

I have found the leather durable and more pleasant to touch than the painted plastic.
It's food for thought. Thanks for the link.
5-speed manual
Old 04-19-2024, 09:25 PM   #6

My brother-in-law, who has painted a jillion cars, concurred that VHT Brake and Caliper paint would probably make a super-durable finish on those interior parts, but he had another suggestion. He happened to have a couple spare cans of satin black VHT Hood, Bumper & Trim Paint, which he claimed is almost as durable. It says on the can, "FOR METAL, PLASTIC, FIBERGLASS." I gave him ten bucks for the pair, Check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-ESP027000-Black-Bumper-Paint/dp/B000CPAVBG
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-19-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:45 AM   #7

My 2000S had that easily scratched grey finish on the console, arm rests, and some smaller parts on the doors that, no matter how careful I was, kept looking more and more awful as time went on. Before putting it in storage a couple years ago I had the parts removed and sand blasted to remove
the finish, leaving the bare black plastic surfaces which I then had a body shop apply a couple coats of clear coat. The result looked perfect - smooth, matte finish. I put the parts back in the car a year ago after getting the car out of storage. So far, it has been very durable and looks exactly as it did when I reinstalled them. I'm very pleased with the result.

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:53 AM   #8

Armrest color - is it really black?

I’m sprucing up the interior of my 2003 with Metropol blue interior. The plastic pieces aren’t blue, but it doesn’t seem to be black either. See pic. Kind of a graphite gray. Anybody know what color this is? Maybe a paint code or rattle can approximation? Thanks.

Tbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbob View Post
I’m sprucing up the interior of my 2003 with Metropol blue interior. The plastic pieces aren’t blue, but it doesn’t seem to be black either. See pic. Kind of a graphite gray. Anybody know what color this is? Maybe a paint code or rattle can approximation? Thanks.
People have been asking for Porsche interior paint codes for a good long time, but I don't know of anyone striking pay dirt. A friend of mine has been looking for the paint codes for his chocolate brown '78 911SC's interior. I'm lucky that my 986's center console and flip-up armrests are a generic black satin. You might take an armrest to Industrial Finishes or the equivalent and have them try to match the color.
5-speed manual
Old 06-28-2024, 02:46 PM   #10

Anyone happen to know the best way to remove the factory "soft touch'" finish from the center console and armrests/door pocket covers? I want to retain the plastic's texture, so sanding is out.
5-speed manual
Old 06-29-2024, 05:43 AM   #11

https://citristrip.com/paint-varnish-stripping-gel-32-oz/

I used Citristrip. It works slowly, but it didn't appear to damage the plastic.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
https://citristrip.com/paint-varnish-stripping-gel-32-oz/

I used Citristrip. It works slowly, but it didn't appear to damage the plastic.
Many thanks, Kevin. I ordered some CitriStrip from Amazon forthwith.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 06-29-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:01 PM   #13

I recently purchased a 2000 986 and went right to work restoring and upgrading the interior.
First on my list was the armrests.
After trial and error, I discovered that rubbing alcohol, a stiff bristle scrub brush and few paper towels and in 15 minutes time, the soft coating was completely removed.
It looked great but I wanted to cover them with leather.
Finished both sides today and am very happy with the results.
IFA Past Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 07:37 AM   #14

Following along. I am about to do the same thing. My center console and arm rests are also scratched.

I’ve heard the pre-2000 boxsters do not have soft touch on them, just plastic and some people sourced used parts as a starting point for painting so they didn’t have to deal with removing the soft touch.

I wish I had access to a sand blaster.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
I wish I had access to a sand blaster.
Me too, but I wouldn't use it on relatively soft plastic. I saw a guy ruin a Z-car's interior plastic by sandblasting it.
5-speed manual
Old 07-01-2024, 07:45 AM   #16

AS I said above, I went to a body shop and was then referred to a guy who sandblasted my console, arm rests, and a few smaller parts and ended up with a black, almost matte black finish. I had planned on painting the parts silver (the car is painte arctic silver) but was pleased with the look so had the body shop clear coat the parts. That was over a year ago and I've found the finish to be durable and attractive. I had tried to remove the soft gray finish using alcohol and stiff brush which didn't work well so I used sandpaper, again with poor results so ended up with sandblasting.

That leather looks great and good luck with your projects... almost anything would be better than that scratched soft touch gray.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Old 07-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #17

Sadly, in the bay area they'll probably want a few hundred bucks just to sand blast. Labor around here is crazy expensive.....but I'll ask around, maybe I can find a good place.

Old 07-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #18

I’m going to try rubbing it off with denatured alcohol and will report back. Some good videos about it on YouTube.

Old 07-02-2024, 03:57 PM   #19

KevinH came up with the optimal solution (in both senses of the word) for removing the Soft Touch finish: CitriStrip. On his recommendation I ordered some from Amazon and gave it a try. Works great. Brush it on, let it sit awhile, wipe and/or scrape it off with a plastic scraper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL5JQCMS
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 07-02-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:04 AM   #20

FYI I spent $200 for sandblasting + $130 for clear coat

Alcohol didn't work for me but I know it worked for others

Wish I knew about critristrip, certainly would have tried it based on your recommendation.