Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2024, 10:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
KevinH came up with the optimal solution (in both senses of the word) for removing the Soft Touch finish: CitriStrip. On his recommendation I ordered some from Amazon and gave it a try. Works great. Brush it on, let it sit awhile, wipe and/or scrape it off with a plastic scraper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL5JQCMS
I am glad it worked for you. Owners of 2000 base Boxsters in artic silver need to support each other.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 10:32 AM   #22

For paint SEM Trim Black is highly recommended.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 04:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepperracing View Post
For paint SEM Trim Black is highly recommended.
I've used SEM, and it's a good product, but it won't stand up to abuse as well as VHT Hood, Bumper & Trim Paint, which is virtually indestructible. I'm using satin black, a close match to the original sheen. Either product is superior to Porsche's Soft Touch finish, which they should have named "EZ Scratch."

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-ESP027000-Black-Bumper-Paint/dp/B000CPAVBG
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 07-03-2024 at 04:44 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 04:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Owners of 2000 base Boxsters in artic silver need to support each other.
Yes, indeed! My 986 was such a super deal, I would've bought it regardless of the color, but silver/black has always been a favorite of mine, so I lucked out. The paint on mine has a couple dings, so after I get the interior squared away I'll grab my airbrush and turn my attention to the exterior. By the way, I really, really like the stock Turbo wheels, although some folks replace them with other styles of wheels. I also like the 986's stock headlights. There's no accounting for taste.
5-speed manual
Old 07-04-2024, 10:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
I've used SEM, and it's a good product, but it won't stand up to abuse as well as VHT Hood, Bumper & Trim Paint, which is virtually indestructible. I'm using satin black, a close match to the original sheen. Either product is superior to Porsche's Soft Touch finish, which they should have named "EZ Scratch."

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-ESP027000-Black-Bumper-Paint/dp/B000CPAVBG
Good to know, I'm only going by personal recommendations, I haven't used it yet myself.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 10:39 PM   #26

Update: I used 91 percent rubbing alcohol, some scotch brite pads and a small nylon brush and removed the soft touch from the visible areas on the center console and detachable trim pieces. I used the scotch brite to saturate the surface and do most of the heavy lifting. Then touched up with towels and the brush. The scotch brite can scratch the surface so don’t go too crazy, but the brush didn’t seem to.

Afterward it was clean enough that I just used 303 protect on it and it looks great. Prior to the 303 it was a little white in some places. I’ll check it again tomorrow.

Also, use appropriate gloves and ventilation with the rubbing alcohol. That stuff is no joke. I got super lighted for 30 minutes after the first go around. Not sure if it was the fumes or the small amount I got on my skin when I took my gloves off and did a last round of cleaning with them off.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 09:31 AM   #27

Just finished installing my stripped and repainted console.
Used 91% alcohol, stripping pad, SEM No Sand, SEM Matte Black and Matte Clear.
Very pleased with the results!
IFA Past Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 09:48 AM   #28

Nice job, IFA. It really cleans up the interior. I'm looking forward to getting mine done using CitriStrip and VHT. I'm not planning to clearcoat it.

5-speed manual