Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #1

How fast have you driven your Boxtser?

This thread is not to encourage speeding, or to be proud of it. It is wreckless and puts people including yourself at risk but... atleast for me when I first get a car, I see what I can do with it and then never do it again.

So with that being said, I want to know how fast you have gotten your boxster up to before saying, I am an idiot and am now going to hit the brakes because spending the night in jail isn't the best thing for me.

Friday I got my '99 up to 125 mph on the open straight highway. It ran so smooth, no shimmys, engine sounded so beautiful. I kept it there for maybe 5 seconds and then took my foot off the gas and coasted back down.

What have you done??? What was your experience like?

99BoxsterATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #2

I've reached mine up to 108 miles. Car was very smooth indeed and I never felt like I might lose control.

That was around 2am in the morning on the highway.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #3

You know I have a friend that used to drive over 130 mph several times a day for years.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #4

148 MPH, no other cars around, wide open road, down hill, 2 PM, for a few miles
Old 12-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
111mph on one of the first day I had it. I'm not doing that again unless I'm on a track. *

*The car felt very stable and strong. I easily could have gone alot faster.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i drive only under speed limit
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
boggtown

130, no problem. 150 in the Z3 though.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #8

120 mph with top up and 100 mph top down and it felt OK:dance:
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
cartagena

I use to drive it over 150 mph about 3 times a week. Where I was living the cops do not chase down cars for speeding. Rather they have stop checks ever 20 or 30 kilometers. If you do not speed where the spot checks are there is little chance of getting a ticket. Sometimes they have a guy with a radar gun but the few locations they hide are often predictable. I use to do a drive that should take over an hour in less than 30 minutes with a cruising speed of around 100-110 mph and 130-140 mph on the straight aways. There is one long stretch where I can see ahead about 2 kilometers where I would bring it up to 150 mph provided there were no donkeys or cows around.

At 140 mph the steering gets more sensitive in that even the slightest movement of the wheel makes it feel like the car is moving a little back and forth, and also there is noticeable g-force when doing over a dip in the road. At 150 mph there is little difference from 140 mph. Overall the car handles great at those speeds. Very easy to drive and control. I always have done it with the top down which makes a lot of noise but I love it.

I have had absolutely ZERO problems with the car driving it regularly at those speeds, for long distances and in extremely hot weather. It is often over 100 degrees outside when I am cruising along. The car is less than a year old though.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #10

Built for occasional autobahn jaunts, it doesn't surprise me the Boxster can maintain those speeds pretty well. I did the same early on, one full speed trial just to see and never really had interest to repeat since then. I got up to 152 at 3am in the morning on a deserted 4-lane freeway. The engine was slowly working it's way at the top of 5th into 6th, and it took me awhile to get there because even slight uphill slopes would start slowing me down.

Cartegena hit it on the head, the steering becomes definitely more sensitive (although less so because of the progressive style steering). But I felt really confident because the car was still quite planted and I didn't feel the front wheels getting light or anything. Unlike other cars I've been in the Boxster just doesn't seem to lose its composure beyond a certain point, and just inspires you to keep going. It wasn't until I crossed a big seam in the freeway and went airborne for a fraction of a second that I realized it's not just the car I need to worry about, and that was all for the day.

Nowadays...maybe 100 but only when passing. It's hard to be in a hurry when your in this car

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 12-10-2006 at 04:32 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #11

I personally have only gone 105 once. The person who I purchased the car from said he had it up to 140MPH on the Autobahn when he lived in Germany. I think for the 99's that is the top end and the car may be speed limited at that level.

I had no doubt the car could handle the speed, but living in PA, I wondered how the Boxster would fare hitting a dear at over 100MPH. It is a great car but somehow that would not be pretty.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to shift26
145 with the top down on the freeway in LA smoking a Corvette... damn, he was not too happy about that. I am not saying it was the brightest thing to do, but I already had the care for a while and I was used to it. I know what to expect and know the limits of the car. It was definitely interesting, but I still prefer the car in the twisties. I have never been a fan of drag racing or any other straight-line racing. I have gone 150+ on a bike and do ride on the track occasionally. That is still more of a rush to me. I wish I could have taken the box up to 150 or more, but never had the chance. I just traded it in for a new toy, but will probably get a 997 4S in the next 2 years if everything goes as planned.

Last edited by shift26; 12-10-2006 at 05:54 PM.
shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
cartagena

At no time did the front end start to feel light or did it float. It's ability to stick to the road is better than any other car I have driven. While driving at about 130mph I too went over a bump that felt like it went airborne but I am sure it did not leave the ground. It just feels that way since you are being pushed upwards and your body feels lighter for a split second.

I had more pedal as well. I figure I can get it at 160 on this road sometime in the future. It is at sea level so there is good oxygen, the road is flat and dry....I just worry about the donkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Cartegena hit it on the head, the steering becomes definitely more sensitive (although less so because of the progressive style steering). But I felt really confident because the car was still quite planted and I didn't feel the front wheels getting light or anything. Unlike other cars I've been in the Boxster just doesn't seem to lose its composure beyond a certain point, and just inspires you to keep going. It wasn't until I crossed a big seam in the freeway and went airborne for a fraction of a second that I realized it's not just the car I need to worry about, and that was all for the day.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
cartagena

By the way, I hope I am not encouraging any of the young kids in this forum to drive fast. There are a few things I should point out. I have had a licence for almost 20 years. I also learned to drive in some of the ****************tiest conditions in the world when I grew up in Toronto. Hey, I even lived in the Dom Rep for 6 months and their they give blind people licences. When I bought the car this year I actually had not owned a car in 3 years. So I did not run out and see how fast I could go on the first day. I started slowly bringing the car up to 80, then 90 and then 100. In fact it was well over a month of driving before I tried anything over 120. I knew I was out of practice and had to test myself. I think the kids on here who want to drive fast should go on a track and practice, not do it on the road, and take their time to learn the car bit by bit. Also many of the younger members are diving older Boxsters which might not be in as good shape as a new one. So, kids, do as I say, not as I do!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to shift26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
By the way, I hope I am not encouraging any of the young kids in this forum to drive fast. There are a few things I should point out. I have had a licence for almost 20 years. I also learned to drive in some of the ****************tiest conditions in the world when I grew up in Toronto. Hey, I even lived in the Dom Rep for 6 months and their they give blind people licences. When I bought the car this year I actually had not owned a car in 3 years. So I did not run out and see how fast I could go on the first day. I started slowly bringing the car up to 80, then 90 and then 100. In fact it was well over a month of driving before I tried anything over 120. I knew I was out of practice and had to test myself. I think the kids on here who want to drive fast should go on a track and practice, not do it on the road, and take their time to learn the car bit by bit. Also many of the younger members are diving older Boxsters which might not be in as good shape as a new one. So, kids, do as I say, not as I do!

agreed! I have also been driving for more time than I care to remember and have driven under various conditions and have done autocross and other course driving. It is definitely good stuff. I hate it when someone buys a car and is not familiar with it and frst time out, have to test it's capabilities. It takes time to learn the car and get used to the way it drives under various circumstances.
shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #16
cartagena

A few years ago I bought my father a 2000 Lincoln Continental. This car has more horsepower than the Porsche and is really fast for a big car. If I remember correctly it has like 300 horsepower with a V8 which I *think* is turbo?

The second day we had it I took it out for a "test drive" on the highway. It started to snow a bit. It was the first snow fall of the season so the commie government did not plow the highways. I was turning onto an elevated on-ramp (for those familiar with Toronto, QEW Eastbound to 427 North) when I hit black ice. I should have been driving slower but I never expected to hit the ice. I totalled the car into the concrete guardrail. I remember getting out on the side of the on-ramp and kicking the door, cursing and swearing about how much I hated the snowplow people who should have salted the road, but instead were at home eating donuts. The car was smashed up on the drivers side almost to the driver's compartment. Right after I kicked the door another car hit the ice and smashed into the wall beside me. I almost **************** my pants and ran back into the car. This on-ramp is about 50 feet in the air so there is no way off of it except to walk down in traffic which would have been suicidal or jump off the side into the highway below which would have been the same. There were over 500 accidents that night according to the newspapers the next day. I had just returned a week before from the sunny beaches of Cuba and at that moment vowed never to live in Canada again.

Anyway, I learned from this experience to take it really slow when getting into a new car I am not familiar with. Ultimately the accident was not my fault but it still could have been avoided. I had the car only for two days. The tow truck driver dropped it back off at the dealer in the middle of the night. I am sure they were surprised to see it back in the lot totalled after only a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift26
agreed! I have also been driving for more time than I care to remember and have driven under various conditions and have done autocross and other course driving. It is definitely good stuff. I hate it when someone buys a car and is not familiar with it and frst time out, have to test it's capabilities. It takes time to learn the car and get used to the way it drives under various circumstances.

Last edited by cartagena; 12-10-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #17

flat out

i live in australia and in the northern terrrotry we have unrestricted speed limits on most roads and i had my boxter s at flat out 250mph

what a ride

d
2000boxters986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #18

side note

just wanted to add that i have been racing in porsche club events for over 10 years and have a track racing licence

dont try this at home kiddies

d
2000boxters986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #19
cartagena

250 mph? Did you drop it from a helicopter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000boxters986
i live in australia and in the northern terrrotry we have unrestricted speed limits on most roads and i had my boxter s at flat out 250mph

what a ride

d
Old 12-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000boxters986
i had my boxter s at flat out 250mph
I think you mean 150mph.