Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 AM   #1

My Son and My Porsche

I got to thinking when I was responding to another thread about car damage, how my teenage son has provided me with two cars that I otherwise likely never gotten. Up until a few years ago, I have always driven very practical inexpensive "family" cars.

My son provided me with my first all-wheel drive vehicle when he was messing around with the Ford Windstar in the driveway. He 14-years old at the time and was backing up the driveway with the door open, just for fun, and pretty much tore the door off when he caught it on a tree. I tried patching the door and make due for a while, but we finally traded the Winstar in for a new Suburu Forester which I like a lot. That was car one.

My wife drove (note the "drove") a pretty new Toyota Corolla, which she loved. Shortly after my son got his license, he totaled it while taking a curve too fast. It was at night, he was going 45 mph and did not see the 25 mph curve warning sign.

He was on a trip to the vet and had our cat and dog with him. He had his seatbelt on, but the animals didnt and they went flying when he slid off the road into an embankment. Nobody got hurt, but it was a big wakeup call for him, and he appears to be a reasonable careful driver these days. That was the start of car number two.

The family got by with just the Forester for a little over a year and then last summer Cyndy started making noises about getting a second car, probably another Corolla or a hybrid of some sort.

That's when I struck and became a owner of my 2000 Boxster. I say struck, because if I did not act quickly, and against the wishes of "she-who-must-be-obeyed" we would have a Forester and Corolla sitting in the driveway instead of the Boxster. Funny how things work out, I guess my son has provided me with my first all-wheel drive vehicle and sports car. What a strange trip we are all on.....

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:26 AM   #2

some advice, keep the sonnnnnn farrrrrrrrr away from the boxster....lol/jokes
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
cartagena

No officer, what sign that said 55mph? I thought it was 115mph. Sorry, I did not see that sign.

If you ever let this one drive the Porsche then you have no one to blame but yourself if something goes wrong. Lets hope he only totals it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
It was at night, he was going 45 mph and did not see the 25 mph curve warning sign.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
some advice, keep the sonnnnnn farrrrrrrrr away from the boxster....lol/jokes
Unless you have your eye on a 997.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
boggtown

I guess I havent done anything for my parents, lol. Well... my dad did buy HIMSELF a corvette for my 16th birthday, load of bull that was. But I got the jeep a week later after we traded in the truck for a new caddy devile. Oddly enough, my mom still hasnt put 22 inch spinners on it... go figure