Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #1

Sociology question in association with face and car thread

After looking at most folks on the "Face and Car" thread, I am somewhat perplexed. I originally joined PCA to try and meet some other folks who are like minded. I soon discovered I was the youngest person there. The "face and car" thread would seem to debunk my stereotype. I just wish my local PCA chapter was at least close to my generation. Why does it seem the preponderance of the folks on this board in close association with our particular car seem "younger" than the average Porsche owner?

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
After looking at most folks on the "Face and Car" thread, I am somewhat perplexed. I originally joined PCA to try and meet some other folks who are like minded. I soon discovered I was the youngest person there. The "face and car" thread would seem to debunk my stereotype. I just wish my local PCA chapter was at least close to my generation. Why does it seem the preponderance of the folks on this board in close association with our particular car seem "younger" than the average Porsche owner?
You are assuming that the sample of people posting pictures is representative of the membership as a whole -- and that may not be the case, as younger people are more likely to post pictures. They are both more comfortable sharing information on the internet (myspace phenomenon) and at the same time, they are likely to be better looking than the older folks thus more willing to show what they got. Just some sociological thoughts.

Z.

Last edited by z12358; 12-06-2006 at 08:46 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
Agreed with Z. When I was in high school and college, I don't remember seeing many students driving Porsches. It's also going to be heavily regionally influenced, obviously. The PCA is probably more representative of the ownership age group.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-06-2006 at 09:11 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #4

Not enough data.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #5

I don't know what Panorama might be able to tell you but
I wouldn't be surprised if the average age of a Pcar owner was over 50.

This is always apparent to me when I autocross with the local PCA vs.
the more 'blue collar' SCCA and other local clubs. The latter clubs were significantly younger in age and seemed to have a higher skill level, except for
the PCA autox chair who was an older guy (80's 911) and could outlap anyone on his first lap, take a pass on his 9 remaining laps and still place 1st.

Incidentally, a not so young autocross friend complained about "how many museums and historical sites can you go to? I want to track/autocross!" when he was a Miata Club member. the wine and cheese label isn't just a PCA thing.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #6

Boxster owners on average are going to be younger than 911 owners. The boxster is far less expensive to buy, and it's not that "classic" porsche everyone wants to buy. However, almost every boxster owner I meet on this forum is my age or older and I am 44.

If you do a thread search, you'll find an old survey someone did on this forum asking the question, How old are you? The majority who answered were older than 40.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #7

Every camera broke that tried to take a picture of me...

Agree with all the comments below.

I don't think you can argue with the black and white of being an owner of a Porsche. The black and white being that these cars are expensive and impractical. Given this you can probably guess what the dominant demographics look like.

Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #8

Im not 40.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
In Sacramento there are very few Porsches to begin with,so seeing one is rare(there are more 911s then Boxster around here though). The youngest man I know of in Sacramento that drives a Porsche was in his mid 30s. At PCA meetings I by the FAR the youngest person there by about 20-25 years,everyone thinks I'm there with my dad or something.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #10

You folks are too old for a Boxster....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
You folks are too old for a Boxster....
Tool Pants, I don't think it's safe to drive without shoes. I hope you got into the car just for the pic. Nice GF.

Z.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Tool Pants, I don't think it's safe to drive without shoes. I hope you got into the car just for the pic. Nice GF.
Z.

What's worse is they're driving on the curb!! Get those rascals outtaa there!!
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
bmussatti

Tool Pants, you are a little too young to be wearing dark socks with shorts...don't ya think?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #14

Sorry,

I wasn't trying to start a debate about the scientific merits of my observation. It just seemed to me, based on the pictures of the thread I mentioned, Boxster owners seem to be younger than the regular P-car owner I am used to. Take it as you will, young at age or young at heart
SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well nowdays pcars are getting alittle more cheaper than what they were when they jsut came out, and new models came out driving prices of 'older' models down.
the problem is that younger people as soon as u tell them porsche they thing 90 thousand and dont even bother looking in clasifieds for them, and in general older people have more money than broke highschool kids
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Im not 40.
I wish I wasn't 40. Does that count?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #17

Our local PCA is has a spread of ages... but probably 70% are over 40. As far as skill level goes, it's the older guys that have dedicated race cars, and aggressively pursue racing. No autocross for them... they do club road races at Robling Road (Savannah, GA), Charlotte Motor Speedway, Daytona, etc. 130+ mph on the straights racing. These old guys can teach you a thing or three.

When you young guys see an older guy, all you see is the snow on the roof. Believe me, there's still a fire burning in the fireplace for most of them/us.

I'm 45, and I used to think that was old. Now I'm thinking 65 or so is getting old...
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #18

Got shoes....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Our local PCA is has a spread of ages... but probably 70% are over 40. As far as skill level goes, it's the older guys that have dedicated race cars, and aggressively pursue racing. No autocross for them... they do club road races at Robling Road (Savannah, GA), Charlotte Motor Speedway, Daytona, etc. 130+ mph on the straights racing. These old guys can teach you a thing or three.

When you young guys see an older guy, all you see is the snow on the roof. Believe me, there's still a fire burning in the fireplace for most of them/us.

I'm 45, and I used to think that was old. Now I'm thinking 65 or so is getting old...

Hi,

That's really true. But, you don't have to be older (peak earning years) to be actively involved in racing.

I started in my '20s, co-owned and championed a Formula Ford with a buddy. We alternated driving race to race. Cost us $6k each to get in (car, spares, trailer) and about $3k/yr. each in entry fees, consumables, misc.

But, you can go even less expensively than that. You can get a Formula VEE car for under $6k complete w/ annual costs as low as $3k. Steriodal VW Flat-4 - 130MPH in the straights, and plenty fast for those cars. You can even Auto-X them, I do mine. Vintage races, open class, SCCA Club, etc.

And, age doesn't limit you, only your own skill. Here's a shot of me in my last race this past Sept., in the lead in my Protoform P3 FV ($6500 New, that's less than the cost of some of the mods discussed here, but as low as $3k for a used one). I got held up by traffic and the Silver car behind me got past on the outside on the last lap so I had to settle for 2nd, that's racing...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-06-2006 at 09:00 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
damn Jim, is ther anyting out there that you dont race?

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote