Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2024, 02:35 PM   #1

Fuel pump sending unit question

Attachment 23581Hi All,

I noticed that I was getting a fuel smell in my cabin when the heater was on. I checked the fuel pump sending unit and do see fuel on top of it. I've order a new sending unit and seal. Pelican's DIY show three hoses on the sending unit. Mine only has two. Am I missing one? I've circled where the missing one might go below. Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by spdrcr21; 01-23-2024 at 02:38 PM.
spdrcr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:57 PM   #2

older cars have a return line, my 03 for example does not. You are experiencing a common problem where the plastic fuel nozzle on the level element ages and cracks and leaks. Good Luck
2003 Boxster S with 2008 400+HP L92 with VVT delete, Comp Cam Thumpr, LS3 intake, 42# injectors, Corvette gas pedal and throttlebody, LS7 lifters, double valve springs, heavy push rods, rocker trunnion upgrade. 2009 corvette MAP. 2009 corvette computer.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
older cars have a return line, my 03 for example does not. You are experiencing a common problem where the plastic fuel nozzle on the level element ages and cracks and leaks. Good Luck
Thanks for confirming obthomas
Old 01-27-2024, 04:08 PM   #4

I replaced everything about 2 months ago..easy job...BUT I will caution you on removing the hoses,just my pump was bad and when I was trying to Dis-connect the lines I snapped off the plastic nipple on the fuel sending unit,..So I now have a completely new system Bc I had to replace the sending unit aswell...hardest part for me was seating the new seal...Have fun..
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I replaced everything about 2 months ago..easy job...BUT I will caution you on removing the hoses,just my pump was bad and when I was trying to Dis-connect the lines I snapped off the plastic nipple on the fuel sending unit,..So I now have a completely new system Bc I had to replace the sending unit aswell...hardest part for me was seating the new seal...Have fun..
Thanks for the heads up. The hoses were a pain to remove on the sending unit. One of my connectors was bad and would no longer hold onto a nipple. I was able to use a similar Dorman part. It's held up thus far. The seal wasn't too bad. I used a new one and used synthetic grease to lube it.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:02 PM   #6

Welp, that Dorman part doesn't hold too well. It came off after a few day. I've ordered a new fuel pump.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:00 AM   #7

Ahh Now see I didnt think of using grease. I did use a little WD 40..towards the end of my aggravation...LOL

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote