Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 05:43 AM   #1

Interesting detailing info from Finish Kare!

I emailed Finish Kare.... Perfectlap must have been away... just joking.
I wanted to know on my Black Box, what is the best way to do a paint cleaning and prep prior to waxing before winter. This is what they had to say. I have purchased the items mentioned and will give it a try. Pricing around 70.00. I will check back when it's done. Keep in mind, I have a black car with decent to very good paint. I have some small acid rain etchings on the hood and minor surface scratches here and there nothing deep in the paint.

To clean the paint you have 2 options

1. 1119 Soil and Coating Remover / 118SC pH Neutralizer Shampoo

- Preclean first with the 1119 Soil and Coating Remover followed by washing with 118. 1119 will remove all coating from the surface of the paint ( wax, tar, silicones etc.) and the 118 will neutralize any corrosive compound on the surface (acid rain, organic compounds etc.). At this point you will have an excellent surface to apply your protective coating to. The ultra clean surface will allow for maximum adhesion.

2. Paint Decontamination System DK-1B or DK-1 ( in the professional products section)

- This option will ensure complete paint cleaning "Decontamination". This system removes all surface contaminates, subsurface contaminates (ferrous particles) and neutralizes the pH of the paints surface and subsurface.

Seeing that it is winter time you may prefer to select option 1. In either case follow this with an application of #2180 Ultra Paint Sealant and a top coat of #1000 Hi Temp Paste Wax and you will be very well protected against all that winter has to offer including the dreaded road salt. The combination of 2180 as a base and #1000 in addition to providing great optics they also are extremely durable, providing excellent protection with build in anti-corrosive agents.

Be sure to use the #118 as your regular wash. It will return the pH of the surface back to neutral and extend the life of the protective coating on the finish.

Hope that helps.

Tech - FK1 Products

dont forget the 425 spray!! That stuff is awesome.

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #2

Audio, very good. Looks like you're all set. Let us know of the results -- both visual and protection/durability.

Z.