Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #21

I agree that it should go for 17,000 to 18,000. Check the tires which will cost another 1,000 to replace and make sure it has had it's 30k inspection which will also cost another 500 to 1,000. I am sure someone has said this, but make sure to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) also.

Arona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
Track rat

Garage
One owner, low miles, perfect dealer service history, good PPI, good carfax (no wrecks, thefts), hardtop and you like the color and options... sounds like a winner.

Here in LA you can find lots of early S models for a similar price but they have been driven into the ground, have sketchy histories or turned into ghetto sleds with too many cheap bolt ons. As a confirmed 2.5er I don't think you will miss the extra 40 ponies.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #23

I got the build date back from them and they said that it is a 02/99 car, so now I'm just waiting to find out if the engine has been replaced yet. If not, I guess I'll have to keep looking
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
I got the build date back from them and they said that it is a 02/99 car, so now I'm just waiting to find out if the engine has been replaced yet. If not, I guess I'll have to keep looking
Oh man not this again......

I would think that if there was/is a problem with the engine it would have surfaced by 30k? I have a Boxster from the "bad" build date w/ 55k on it w/o an issue.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #25

Here we go again, just buy the car.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #26

Hi,

The car is not suffering from the maybe 16% of early 99's which had the sleeved blocks. Get that myth out of your head. If it all checks out, go for it if that's what you want...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #27

I'm so confused... I've just seen some in this thread say to not get it if the build date is in that period and then others are now saying to just go for it regardless. Can someone please explain? Thank you.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
I'm so confused... I've just seen some in this thread say to not get it if the build date is in that period and then others are now saying to just go for it regardless. Can someone please explain? Thank you.
Look at it this way;You know how you are told to stay from build dates from "xx/xxxx-xx/xxxx"? Disregard it,IT'S BLOWN WAYYYYYYYYYY OUT OF PORPORTION! There are plenty of member on this forum(I for one) who have one from that time period w/o an issue. Heck a boardmember(Ohioboxster) even has his 99' supercharged and oh wait....IT'S FINE! Don't pay any attention to it.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-02-2006 at 11:53 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #29

dude, mine was built 2/99 and has 48k miles on it already. 2 weeks after I bought it, I took it in the dealer for 45k service (this is before i found out about the RMS issue and right after i sign up to this forum) and to my surprise, the service manager told me that my engine has been replaced already by previous owner. So far the only issue that i run into just last week was MAF and it's been replaced under warranty....

To sum it all up, either just go for it or get a PPI before you sign anything and if it turns out good, buy it and just make sure you get a very good ext. warranty @ warrantydirect.com so you could sleep better at night, save at least $2k for maintanance service or "just walk away from it if you are worry this much and don't even own the car yet"
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
dude, mine was built 2/99 and has 48k miles on it already. 2 weeks after I bought it, I took it in the dealer for 45k service (this is before i found out about the RMS issue and right after i sign up to this forum) and to my surprise, the service manager told me that my engine has been replaced already by previous owner. So far the only issue that i run into just last week was MAF and it's been replaced under warranty....

To sum it all up, either just go for it or get a PPI before you sign anything and if it turns out good, buy it and just make sure you get a very good ext. warranty @ warrantydirect.com so you could sleep better at night, save at least $2k for maintanance service or "just walk away from it if you are worry this much and don't even own the car yet"
Good points!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Good points!
thanks...

Make this as a fun experience searching for the car and good luck! Keep us posted...some over here are waiting for the birth of the new Boxster owner..hehehehehehe!

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote