Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #1

2006 Ruf Boxster 3.8S X51 Conversion

This week at Autoweek. Add $39k to a 05/06 Boxster S.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061124/FREE/61120020/1004/THISWEEKSISSUE

There is also a 2007 Turbo on the cover with an article inside.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #2

Holy crap! 0-60 in 4 seconds?! That's as fast as my Lambo. I'm seriously considering this. Going to call them tomorrow and ask for more details.

Anyone here done any Ruf conversions?
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #3

ok so $42,000(don't forget the sales tax at RUF register) for another 100 HP? virtually no interior upgrading. SIX figures on sub 400HP car that will draw far fewer looks on the street than a second hand Ferrari and get spanked every day of the week on the track by the average non-Z06 Corvette?

That's $428 per horse or at that rate
$4,280 for an additional 10 HP?
$6,420 for an another 15 HP and so on...

I would really like to someone who wasn't a multi millionaire that would spend this kind of dough.

Just buy a used Lotus Elise and you'll get the same low powered but quick off the line experience and keep more than you spent in your bank account.

If I were RUF I'd concentrate on making good quality yet not obscenely expensive aftermarket parts that would make sense to the average Pcar guy when considering bang for buck.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
ok so $42,000(don't forget the sales tax at RUF register) for another 100 HP? virtually no interior upgrading. SIX figures on sub 400HP car that will draw far fewer looks on the street than a second hand Ferrari and get spanked every day of the week on the track by the average non-Z06 Corvette?

That's $428 per horse or at that rate
$4,280 for an additional 10 HP?
$6,420 for an another 15 HP and so on...

I would really like to someone who wasn't a multi millionaire that would spend this kind of dough.

Just buy a used Lotus Elise and you'll get the same low powered but quick off the line experience and keep more than you spent in your bank account.

If I were RUF I'd concentrate on making good quality yet not obscenely expensive aftermarket parts that would make sense to the average Pcar guy when considering bang for buck.
Think of it as a cheaper mid-engine C2S cabriolet. It would also probably depreciate less then the new C2S because of exclusivity and demand from performance connoiseurs that appreciate the lighter weight and the mid-engine design. 4.0sec 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at. And for some, drawing fewer looks is a positive.

Z.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #5

There's also an article on it that I read couple of weeks ago in the last Excellence mag:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html
Old 11-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Think of it as a cheaper mid-engine C2S cabriolet. It would also probably depreciate less then the new C2S because of exclusivity and demand from performance connoiseurs that appreciate the lighter weight and the mid-engine design. 4.0sec 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at. And for some, drawing fewer looks is a positive.

Z.
That's exactly what I do. I had been considering to go with a C2S, but really, really don't like the styling of the convertible. The Boxster is imho the most beautiful Porsche by far (in current production, the Carrera GT is sweet).

So paying $55k for my 06, I end up just shy of 100. A Carrera S with X51 used is about that price.

And for looks, I still got a yellow lambo . I like that the Boxster is more anonymous.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132
Holy crap! 0-60 in 4 seconds?! That's as fast as my Lambo. I'm seriously considering this. Going to call them tomorrow and ask for more details.

Anyone here done any Ruf conversions?
Hey Webster, in my dreams I have done a few RUF conversions. Does this count. I am really considering a RUF engine swap in about 3-4 years. The guy you want to talk to at RUF is Wayne Corley. www.rufautocentre.com.

Hey, bring that Lambo over to my house this spring/summer and Sammy, NickCats and I will wash it and wax it for ya!!! Seriously. I do excellent work.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #8

I'm not sure about the depreciation part. I've seen a second hand Boxster on the RUF site for sale at a big mark down for a long period before selling. And I'm not sure that 911 Cab's are over the six figure mark like a new 987 with RUF trimmings. If it were my $100K I'd take a bone stock 997 Cab over a 987 RUF anyday. Boxster is the better handling car but there is only so much most are willing to pay for a non-vintage roadster.
If you have seen the resales on the 996 C4S Cabs you'll see a very different willingness for Mr. sports car to part with his money than he would for a roadster. It may also have to do with the supply of C4S Cabs proping up their value vs. the flood of Boxsters.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-30-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
There's also an article on it that I read couple of weeks ago in the last Excellence mag:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html
Their conclusion:

Quote:
Such a sum may seem ludicrous to those who can only justify spending six-figures in exchange for the prestige of owning a 911, but it’s actually quite reasonable from another perspective. After all, the Ruf 3800S/381 provides better straight-line performance, simply superior handling, and far more exclusivity than a 2007 Carrera S Cabriolet with the X51 upgrade — which carries an MSRP of $109,700 without any additional factory options. Though the 911 may have more street cred as far as the general public is concerned, it can’t match the balance, poise, and general composure of the 3800S/381’s mid-engine chassis. For those who value ability over image, that makes this Ruf a highly desirable machine.
Totally agree.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #10

I think most people would agree, no actually everyone agrees that the X51 "package" is the most outlandishly over priced option Porsche has ever had the gonads to sell. Nearly the cost of a year old S2000 for meager ponies.
Subtract the x51 and the value of a 997 changes substantially. Granted the X51 does make it sound cool! brrrmmm....

At the end of day you are paying a bucketload of cash for 100 HP?
Handling is not 'transformed' by RUF in any way. Better? sure
Think about it you are spending nearly 80% of the car's cost for
far far less than a 80% increase in performance, any kind of performance.
You aint winning any Autocross races in a RUF Boxster now that you have been
bumped up a class and now have to contend with the big boys going home with your trophy. Try explaining to your friends why you spent $40K to get beat every weekend and your car doesn't look any different than your neighbohrs 987 with $2K TechArt wheels?

ok have you figured out I'm not a fan?LOL
p.s.
Sell me a RUF yellow bird and I'll sing a differnt tune.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-30-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
At the end of day you are paying a bucketload of cash for 100 HP?
Handling is not 'transformed' by RUF in any way. Better? sure
Think about it you are spending nearly 80% of the car's cost for
far far less than a 80% increase in performance, any kind of performance.
You aint winning any Autocross races in a RUF Boxster now that you have been
bumped up a class and now have to contend with the big boys going home with your trophy. Try explaining to your friends why you spent $40K to get beat every weekend and your car doesn't look any different than your neighbohrs 987 with $2K TechArt wheels?
I appreciate your value perspective, but I'd be buying the upgrade to keep me happy. Not to impress friends or do Autocross races. I absolutely love the Boxster. I love the look, the handling, everything but the performance.

And regarding value, the C2S Cab is $92,800 stripped (no tax). Throw in the bare essentials and it's easy $95 -- even without the X51. Contrast that to a $55,500 (stripped) + $38,900 = $93,900 Boxster Ruf S. That's a lower price for a muuuch prettier car, considerably better performance, and better mid-engine handling. Porsche lists the cab at 4.7s, the Boxster Ruf S is quoted by Autoweek at 4.0, which is probably a little generous, so let's just say 4.2 or 4.3.

Almost seems like a steal to me
Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think its not worth it. they should really look at their prices...geez
who ever gets this 'option' does not know how to manage their money well IMO.
but it is a nice ride if money is not an option, and there are people like that, but thats only a few that would want to spend that much dough on a boxster
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #13

yeah someone is stealing alright!

you don't need to spend another 40 large to get a prettier car than 997 Cab.
987 comes prettier STOCK!
And there is no deficiency in a 987S STOCK performance, it will beat the standard 997 Cab out at Sebring or Laguna Seca without Alois RUF's signature under the hood. There have been several magazine comparos pitting the 987S vs. the standard 997 tin top and the victory was marginal.
Porsche hold back on the 987 but relative to non-gt/turbo 911's they don't hold back THAT much. People put far too much value behind 0-60 times. 61 mph is where the fun starts! Take a 10/10th's flat out right hander at your local track in a 987S and see if you think its lacking in power.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #14

i say if the stock performance is not enough, 40 large can get u a lot more than what they offer, thats for sure

Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
And there is no deficiency in a 987S STOCK performance, it will beat the standard 997 Cab out at Sebring or Laguna Seca without Alois RUF's signature under the hood. There have been several magazine comparos pitting the 987S vs. the standard 997 tin top and the victory was marginal.
Porsche hold back on the 987 but relative to non-gt/turbo 911's they don't hold back THAT much. People put far too much value behind 0-60 times. 61 mph is where the fun starts! Take a 10/10th's flat out right hander at your local track in a 987S and see if you think its lacking in power.
I'm not following your logic. If you think the 987S is already better performance/looks than a 997 Cab, then you must consider the the 997 the biggest robbery of all? I appreciate the fact that you may consider Porsche poor value in the larger scheme of things (Corvettes, etc), but the Ruf Boxster seems pretty darn good value when compared WITHIN the Porsche brand. That's all I'm saying.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i say if the stock performance is not enough, 40 large can get u a lot more than what they offer, thats for sure
I'm all ears. As long as the suggestion is not to sell the Boxster and buy a Corvette
Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #17

and on looks I'm not entirely sold on the $100K Boxster version vs. A 997 Cab

997 C4S Cab

RUF 987

p.s.
yes I do consider any six figure car that gets spanked by SEVERAL seconds at Laguna by a Corvette to be a robbery. Too heavy and not enough power for those Ferrari like prices.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-30-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #18

Hi,

Doing a RUF Conversion simply isn't for mere Mortals like us. It definitely belongs in the category of: "If you have to ask...".

And, if you are one of those lucky few who inhabit the Socio-Economic Stratosphere, you're not concerned with Value, Resale or any such mundane things. All you know is that you have a want which needs to be satisfied and you satisfy it, period. That's RUF's true customer, who they market to.

Oh, to be one of the Few, rather than one of the Great Unwashed...

But, all is not lost. There are a few ways to get around it. Such as going this route: http://www.autofarm.co.uk/new.php3/silsleevebig.html Again, not cheap, but less than RUF charges...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #19

did anyone notice this similarity.

one of the most ugliest corvette wheels look very similar to the porsche wheels above, well the unpainted version that is
http://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpaper/automotive/Chev%20Corvette%20C5%20-%201024x768.jpg

Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi, And, if you are one of those lucky few who inhabit the Socio-Economic Stratosphere, you're not concerned with Value, Resale or any such mundane things. All you know is that you have a want which needs to be satisfied and you satisfy it, period. That's RUF's true customer, who they market to.
I'm sorry to burst any bubbles, but that's simply not the case. At least not for me. And not for any of my high-end buying car friends either. Value is a huge part my car buying process. Whether I'm buying a Boxster or a Lamborghini.

You just compare it to other options in the same league or segment. So no, I didn't consider a Miata when buying the Boxster, but I did consider an SLK. And I didn't consider a Corvette when getting the Lambo, but I did consider the Ferrari.

So if you, like me, like Porsches and like convertibles, but you want more performance than a stock S, you compare a Ruf Boxster to a C2S Cab and try to assign value to either option. What I'm sensing from the crowd here is that paying ~$100k for a convertible Porsche is a bad deal for them. I have absolutely no problem with that judgement, but it didn't feel all that relevant for this discussion.