Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2023, 09:07 AM   #1

1999 Boxster Wheel Lock Key

Hi All,

My 1999 Boxster has a flat tire and I lost my wheel lock key. Does anyone knows where I can purchase a new key aside from dealership? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

rogerkoo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:49 PM   #2

Garage
The dealer won't be able help.
Easiest thing to do is hammer a 12 point socket on to the lock, which will destroy the lock, but make it removeable. Throw the locks away and just use lug bolts. It's far easier and more likely a thief will steal the whole car rather than just your wheels and tires.
I once spent over a hundred bucks to have a locksmith make me a new wheel lock key. Afterward when mentioning this to the Porsche dealership service manager he suggested the hammered-on socket solution.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:32 PM   #3
Fancy Person

well i humbly disagree. sort of. if you can get them off with a "hack", good and good riddance. throw them away and put in regular bolts.if you fail, however, you are screwed. you have stripped bolts and a nightmare.

the porsche dealer will almost certainly be able to figure out the correct key and sell it to you if you bring it there. they cannot tell remotely. (in my case it was $60+tax). i saved them and the key in a box.

d

2001 Boxster S, 2006 Cayenne S, 2014 G37, 1998 Passat Lemons Car

Last edited by dukeferris; 10-16-2023 at 04:34 PM.
dukeferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I did tried to hammer it with a socket but only stripping the threads out unfortunately. And the dealer did said only way to provide the correct key is to have the car in physically.

Best Regards,
Roger
rogerkoo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:03 PM   #5

I drove my car into the dealer and borrowed their set, which I know won't work for you with a flat, but there's a bunch of different spline combinations. If you want to take a risk, take a well lit photo as close to square with the end of the bolt as you can get, and compare it to the different keyed sockets in the set at the dealer, and order that one.

I tried the socket trick, and my sockets were too thick in the wall, bound up against the wheel. Tried drilling the heads off and also a Harbor Freight bolt extractor, and the metal was too tough for both.

Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote