Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2023, 07:56 AM   #1

Exclamation 1999 986 tiptronic trans replace

I have a 1999 Boxster 986 base model with tip Tronic transmission 60k miles. I just took in for annual service to dealer and received a clean bill of health on the engine but the dealer said they found the transmission to be defective. The dealer has recommended transmission replacement.
I am in the central Indiana area, and I am trying to find someone who installs replacements or does rebuilds so far I have had no luck other than a dealership
I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost to track someone down to rebuild it to replace with a donor transmission or to just scrap the car for parts.
I am being told by most local shops that Porsche has a proprietary software that needs to be used to program the automatic transmission. Once it is installed and that makes it cost prohibitive for most shops to work on it?
does anyone have any suggestions on someone in my area that would be interested & could either do the work or maybe even purchase the car off of me to do the work themselves?
Porsche dealer is quoting somewhere between $8000 and $20,000 which is cause prohibitive, considering the car is probably only worth about $10,000
looking for advice or help. Thanks in advance.

indydj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install , rebuilt , replacement , tiptronic transmission