Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #1

Hard top drain locations?

My hardtop is leaking and I don’t want to spend $900 on new rubber seals. Does anyone know how to clear the drains and where they are located? It’s coming in above my driver’s seat on top of the window. I can’t figure it out. Thank you in advance.

986nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #2

Coming in on top of the clamshell? Air comes over the top and then swirls toward the front. Presses the water forward.

So what comes to mind:

Have you gummifleg'ed the old seals or otherwise tried a product to make them more flexible?
Are you sure the spinlocks are as far down as they need to be?
Have you screwed down the top as much as you can?

Drain locations are under the clamshell, one on each side.

Last edited by mikefocke; 08-22-2023 at 04:03 PM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #3

I wouldn't call them drains, but the two strips that run front to back on either side can be removed, perhaps you have a hole in that area? They should just pop off straight up.

Mine leaks, but I believe it is from the window seal, so I'll have to look into the 'gummifleg' mentioned by mikefocke (from googling, I believe he means Gummi Flege)
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:08 AM   #4

Garage
My hardtop used to leak slightly at the top front corner on the drivers side. a couple years ago I installed a new window regulator and while I had things apart I adjusted the window height and angle following the instructions on the Pelican site. The leak is gone in rainy conditions, but still drips slightly when under pressure from a car wash. The Pelican instructions say you should not be able to pull a piece of paper thru the seal when the window is up.

Last edited by A8ked; 08-24-2023 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote