Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2023, 05:20 AM   #1

Funny Happenings With Door and Frunk

Hi all

My 2004 986 S has developed a few strange symptoms of late. They might be unrelated, but I welcome any help in diagnosis!

First thing that happened was the Frunk refused to release on the switch. I could hear it actuating, but it didn't actually open. Went through the rigmarole of getting the wheelarch , ainer out and emergency release (since relocated to the towing eye!). I've replaced the actuator now and its been fine since.

I did notice the other evening that the frunk light wasn't on when I opened it, but I have seen it on since then. Weird, but seems resolved so far as I can tell.

On to the next issue; the drivers door window doesn't drop when I open either handle sometimes. I'd say about 10% of the time it works, the rest of the time I have to drop the glass on the window switch and then hold the lock button on the key to get it back in to the rubber.

Also, it does a double-honk, again sometimes. It seems to be that the double-honk wasn't there when the window drops correctly.

No pattern to when it works or doesn't work so far as I can tell.

When it does work, it works from both the interior and exterior handles. When it doesn't work, it doesn't work from either.

The window drops correctly when I unlatch the roof, and drop correctly when putting the roof back up.

It has full range of motion up and down, and I have done a full drop and full up with the ignition on (engine off) with door open and door closed. No change in behaviour as a result.

Any ideas where to be looking for an issue? The intermittency makes me think a switch somewhere is on its way out, but at a loss as to which switch or where it might be!

merlins_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:07 PM   #2

I had a similar problem with my frunk light. In my case, the problem was probably a little dirt and oxidation, easy to fix. First, I removed the lightbulb and cleaned the contacts on the bulb and the housing. Second, I removed the switch the the frunk latch, cleaned it, lubricated it, and put it back. Mine's worked fine ever since.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #3

FWIW I had a lot of weird electrical issues resolve after replacing the immobilizer board. It's not that hard to open and inspect, you just have to remove the front seat and unplug it, pry open the flimsy and definitely-not-waterproof plastic case and check out the board. Mine had all kinds of corroded circuit traces and had to be replaced. Local electronics guy didn't even want to try so I sent it to ECU in Florida. Expensive but it fixed lots of issues, major one being that the starter would intermittently refuse to activate.
This is a 2000 2.7L

Alpsjourney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 , door , frunk