Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #1

Portable GPS? Mounting?

So I'm thinking of getting a portable GPS, currently looking hard at the Garmin Nuvi 660.

Any Boxster owners mount one of these into their cars? Experiences?

I'm a little worried that that even if I remove the GPS and hide it somewhere in the car, a thief will see the suction cup mount and realize there's likely an expensive toy in the car ready to be smash-and-grabbed.

Maybe there's a way of custom mounting it in the car without the big suction cup thing. Maybe fair it into the dash like an OEM unit?

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
FIG

Usually snatch & grab is what it is.......if it is in plain veiw they will, if not, they usually dont have the time to scuffle about in the car.

Put the unit in one of the trunks, once you're in the habit, it's not that much of an inconvenience really. (just be sure no-one is watching too close when you do it!)

I bought the Mio Digi walker (great unit), and because it is a phone/GPS/PDA I gotta take it with me anyways. Maybe take a look at that unit instead??? That will solve that dilemma

Cheers
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and am concerned about security on long trips when stopping at rest stops, etc. So far, I've used it in my daily-driver mostly, and the 986 once. Unlike the 660, the 350 is really small (about the size of a deck of cards). I will probably just take it with me when I leave the car unattended on trips.

I've looked for a place to situate the 350 in my car without needing the windshield mount, but haven't been successful. Often times in my Jeep, I won't mount it at all. I will leave it on the seat and just listen to the voice commands, and pick it up if I feel I need to look at the display.

The 350 comes with a mount that you can secure to the dash (or other location) with double-sided tape. This approach isn't good for me as well. Let us know what you decide. I think you will like the Nuvi. It is a great unit.

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 12-02-2006 at 02:50 PM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #4

I purchased a Pioneer AVIC-S1 portable unit. It comes with a plastic mounting bracket that fits nicely in front of the radio. No need to use the suction cup.

/Tony
tnguyenmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #5

I decided the best place for the GPS was on the steering column between the wheel and the cluster, it blocks off the digital display but that's no hardship, it is mucj, much easier to look at there. To hold it steady I cheated a little, when I did my 4 stalk upgrade I stuck two neodynium magnets on the inside of the column cover, I then got a right angle piece of clear acrylic with two matching magnets which I attached to the GPS (a Dell Axim PPC). It now "snaps" in to palce and holds real right then when I remove it there isn't so much as a trace.

Chris.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

I've got a Garmin 330. Incredible little devices, these.

I take the entire suction cup base off when I remove the GPS from the car. It's just as easy to remove as the GPS is from the base and leaves potential thieves nothing to consider.

If they see the base or sometimes even just the empty cigarette lighter they'll start looking for things within the car so you don't want to leave any indication that there was something expensive in the cabin. Especially in a convertible.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #7

I'm thinking of picking up a Garmin Street Pilot i5

Anyone have one ? Any comments ?

Any other suggestions in the $400 price range ?

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #8

I have an i3 which is basically the same unit only it does not have the maps pre-loaded. One of the great advantages to this unit is the mount, unit, and power cord will all fit neatly in the centre console. Locked and away from prying eyes. These are solid although very basic, units.

For that price you should be able to find a Garmin c330. It's larger, but not greatly so, and has several more features then the i* models. I've used one but never attempted to squeeze it in the console.

Good luck.
Froof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #9

I have a Tomtom 910, bought it because it came loaded with all of the maps which I just used to find my hotel in Prague. I use it in my Boxster with the suction cup and have no issues, actually it is kind of fun to head off into backwood roads of PA and find your way home as well as your way back to a great section of twisties. I tried several brands before buying and found the tomtom had the best maps and info for Europe where I spend half of my time and with the hard drive it can keep a lot of extra locations as well as being very fast compared to my wifes DVD based system.

thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote