Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #1

Bilstein B4 or B6 for 97' Base Boxster?

Going for new shocks all around on my 97' base, and wondering about the B4 vs. B6. Daily driver, weekend fun car, probably no tracking, and dealing with roads in the Northeast. I like the idea of better performance, but wary of making it too stiff and uncomfortable for bumpy New England roads. Either one will be a massive improvement over the worn out originals I'm driving on now.
Any suggestions and personal experiences appreciated. Thanks.

soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:45 PM   #2

I just went to all B6 and the ride is not harsh at all around town. It’s hard to compare because my original fronts were completely shot and providing no dampening. I’d go B6.
Jeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:23 AM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts on the B6.
I have the same problem, my shocks are so shot whichever one I choose will be a massive improvement. The car was heading into the shop today, so I had to decide last week which ones and went for the B4's.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:07 PM   #4

my path

I went with what Bilstein calls their B12 kit; B6 and Eibach lowering springs.

I am real happy with the upgrade, I had 112K on the factory set up!

David
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 01:35 PM   #5

Thanks David. The lowering springs give the car such a great look.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #6

So, what are your thoughts on the B4's? I'm also getting ready to do shocks. I always like to upgrade when replacing something (so, B6?), but I don't want anything too stiff, for our very rough, Michigan roads (so, B4)?

Last edited by ecruz; 09-18-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Puncuation
ecruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:16 PM   #7

I'm pretty happy with my B4's, but as I said anything would have been an improvement over what was in there! The car handles so much better, and the ride is very comfortable. No more wobbly going fast around corners, and the car actually goes where I point it. The roads here in CT can be pretty rough like what I'm sure your roads in MI are like. I think I made the right choice.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
I'm pretty happy with my B4's, but as I said anything would have been an improvement over what was in there! The car handles so much better, and the ride is very comfortable. No more wobbly going fast around corners, and the car actually goes where I point it. The roads here in CT can be pretty rough like what I'm sure your roads in MI are like. I think I made the right choice.
Thanks!

Apparently I can't just reply "thanks!". My response must be at least 10 characters.

ecruz is offline   Reply With Quote