Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #1

That Blankety-Blank PPF

I'm sure most folks here are familiar with PPF, paint-protection film, which is applied mostly to the front bumper and hood. I have a love-hate relationship with the stuff. On one hand, PPF effectively wards off rock chips. On the other, it has a useful life of perhaps five years, and after that it becomes discolored and brittle. The PPF on my 986 was well past its prime, yellowing and peeling off the front of the hood below the Porsche crest.

Throughout high school and college I worked after class at my brother-in-law's auto body and paint shop prepping cars to paint, primarily sanding and masking. I was the best prep girl in the country, perhaps in the world. Not the fastest, but the best. A good prep requires attention to detail, and I had that base covered. Without a good prep you'll never have a good paint job. Anyway, I got stuck with removing the PPF on perhaps eight or nine cars, which required a heat gun (or, in a pinch, a hair dryer), adhesive remover, a plastic or nylon scraper, and plenty of elbow grease. And it was a royal pain in the ass every time. I swore I'd never remove another PPF, and yet, here I am...

After I finish removing my 986's PPF, I will never, never, never touch another one.

I hope.

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-24-2023 at 04:32 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:05 PM   #2

Don’t look like much fun. Good luck with the rest of it.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:29 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I had that on a Cayenne. It was so much trouble to get off that I ended up buying a bra to cover the mess that I made getting it 1/2 way off.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I had that on a Cayenne. It was so much trouble to get off that I ended up buying a bra to cover the mess that I made getting it 1/2 way off.
I can relate. It's a project to remove it. And not the fun kind.

5-speed manual
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote