Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #1

Test drove MZ4 Roadster, Z4 Coupe 3.0si...

Well, I had to take it out of my system. I am currently a proud owner of a 2004 986S which has been running great up until now (*knocks on wood*).

I used to be an owner of a 2003 Z4 2.5i (auto) for 3 years until I picked the box.

Anyway, I decided to see how much the Z4 has evolved as I was always a fan of the looks and performance.

I setup an appointment to test drive both the M Roadster and the M Coupe but unfortunately the M Coupe was not available so I had to settle down for the 3.0si.

MZ4 Roadster - 6 Speed manual

Great lines, amazing modern design and a great proven engine. However, the overall road feedback and experience lacks compared to the Box. The power gap was not very much noticeable compared to the Box although it was not really easy to push the car to its limits with the salesman next to me.

One thing I disliked completely is the large amount of vibration that was coming to my hand at the gear shifter. It was very noticeable and very bad. I wonder why there is NONE at all in the Box and the Z4 has so much?

The engine sound was pretty good but I expected a bit better and I still think the Box sounds better above the 4k RPM. I dare to say the Box makes me feel I drive an F1 car (a bit long shot but thats the feeling i get!).

Overall, an amazing car that costs lower than a Box. Great looker really but the engineering just doesn't cut it. It is very good but not ... perfect.

Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Automatic

Again a great looker, I've been lurking around for a Coupe after 5 years of roadster ownership and certainly the CaymanS and the Z4 Coupe are on my target list.

Really liked the trunk space and the overall design. The new 6-speed automatic was surprisingly very fun compared to the one I used to have in my '03 Z4. It was more responsive and the engine output was coming along nicely. Of course, I was missing the "power on demand" the Box has at any gear any RPM.

Conclusion

I think where BMW impresses me the most is the design. Being 22 years I am more attracted to the latest "toy" on the block than a classic the Boxster is. Of course the 987 has been greatly improved, exterior and interior wise but currently I own a 986

The test drive was one more reason for me to recognize the Porsche engineering. Really, it spoils you.

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 11-24-2006 at 02:29 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:01 AM   #2

Yes, the Boxster does spoil you. No other car calls to be driven just for the sake of driving, quite like the Box. Thanks for the write-up.
Z.