Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 04:29 AM   #21

No offence taken. Have a nice Thanksgiving yourself.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:42 AM   #22

I will chime in here since my Boxster S was IA's first......

Low boost, low temp pProcharger C1, resize injectors GIAC tune and you are set... Stephen Kasper builds great Porsche motors he is not just a "tuner". If he was I would have never gave him my car for over a year to develop this system. He builds SAFE high HP cars and could pull more HP out of my car but said it would be pushing it. In his words “you can not get blood from a turnip.”

I have even went as far as offering my car to anyone to drive that are interested in this system. I did not have to nor am I receiving any funds for this. I believe it is that good. As for a point of reference I had a brief run at the last Seattle drive with a 997TT… Wow was he surprised when I was pulling on him from 60-110 mph…Ask Dacid_J who was in this car and is a member on this board when I pulled on a modded 3.4 996 that smoked his 01 Boxster SI was amazed and so was the Bob who wrote the article for Excellence Mag that will be out in the next few months. It is that good

BTW: IA and many others have installed the EVO S/C on over 100 on 996's (they have a higher compression then Boxsters) and not 1 has went boom. The bigest issue that they had with that kit was changing from a .02 boost hose clamp to a stronger one

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale

Last edited by JP-s-in st. louis; 11-23-2006 at 07:46 AM.
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #23
boggtown

Hey blink, I dont think an oil cooler would help much without an s bumper, or some other 3 hole variation.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell!
Lemme get this straight, though.....

The Boxster engine has 11.0:1 compression. The supercharger is not intercooled. About the only thing keeping the engine from destroying itself is a pair of extra fuel injectors? Is the ignition timing backed off under boost (i.e. does the DME get reflashed)?

The Boxster engine just wasn't designed for boost, IMO........
The ecu is reprogrammed by us using GIAC software. We have numerous boxsters out there running the kit, and they are all going strong. The engine will hold up just fine to 4psi of boost. All precautionary measures have been taken.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #25

OH, and there are numerous threads on our supercharger kits on the board here. A search will answer a lot of questions.

Kit is normally 7k for the 2.5, and 8k for the 3.2S

JP's car, as well as one of our 2.5L cars will be in an upcoming issue of Excellence and European Car Magazine.

Last edited by PorscheDoc; 11-23-2006 at 08:36 AM.
PorscheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #26

Carl

that was quick....Dude step away from the CPU you are off work today

Happy Thanksgiving to you and te new bride

(i will have one for you

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The ecu is reprogrammed by us using GIAC software. We have numerous boxsters out there running the kit, and they are all going strong. The engine will hold up just fine to 4psi of boost. All precautionary measures have been taken.
Are there any test results (perhaps a chart with "psi boost" on the horizontal axis and "reliability" on the vertical axis) showing how "just fine" below 4psi becomes "not so good" above 4psi? Is there an abrupt slump in the graph at 4psi or is it a smooth down-sloping line? Test like these are very expensive and are only viable for large economies of scale (factory production) or for very expensive products. They are also a neccessity for anybody offering a 4yr warranty on their product. One miscalculation (oops!) and the firm can go bust from paying out claims.

I am not denying that there are talented people at after-market shops that can take short-cuts with rules-of-thumb or wing it from experience. That's just different from a proper testing procedure that's normally prohibitively expensive in that scenario. So this injects risks of the unknown. Nothing wrong with the decision to ride out those risks. I am only talking about acknowledging them.

Z.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #28

It would be nice if Porschedoc would do an install and take pictures I would like to see the differences between the two.