Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #1

19" Carrera Classics

Have you guys seen these new 19" Carrera Classic replicas that Wheel Dynamics has? $1,749 with the tires. He has 'em for 986s and 987s. Think Santa can fit them in the sleigh?

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-21-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #2

very nice but that car needs a serious lowering. I don't think I have ever been able to see so much of the top of a tire. Really makes the whole car look out of proportion.
What's the weight on those 19" bad boys?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #3

Hi,

That has to be a photoshop'd pic. 19's would fill the wheelwell much more than that. Here is a pic of my '99 w/ 18" Turbos and the wheelwell is almost completely filled - on Stock suspension...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #4

Don't forget. The 19" OEM rim/tire setup for 987 has a SMALLER total wheel diameter than the 18" setup. I think I posted the numbers here somewhere few months ago. That said, the pic does look a bit weird -- as if the car needs lowering to get to the OEM look. Also, the sidewalls are much shinier and darker than the rest of the tire, so it looks like the tire stops at the sidewalls and the visual trick doesn't allow for the rest of the tire to fill out the wells. This is especially pronounced on black cars where the wells can't be clearly differentiated from the dark space and the dark tire.

I like the Carrera Classics and Lights very much and have been mulling over the idea to replace the 18" standards with either of them, but each time I see my Box I like the look of the standard 18s more. And each time I hit a hole I'm thankful for not getting the 19s. Perhaps in 2-3 years if/when I get bored.

Z.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Wow, those make the brake rotors look tiny. I love the look of larger diameter wheels with rotors that look as if they are almost too big. The F430 comes to mind....

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
KronixSpeed

MN that is not filled out, and that 987 with 19z needs to be slammed.

sorry to whoever's car this is that i post, i love the look of a slammed boxster, and stole this picture from somewhere that i saw your car.

this is what the boxster should really look like..............slammed on 19z carrera lights.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
KronixSpeed

the last pic was a 2 inch drop...my car is a 1 inch drop, i soooo need a 2 inch drop, changes the way the car looks completly.

i agree perfect lap, i love cars slammed to the ground. i could never drive a car that hasnt been lowered. my last honda prelude was slammed 2 1/2 inches, but i found that i ruined the car by dropping it 2 inches. so i opted to save the porsche the misery and drop it only 1 inch.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 AM   #8

Kronix,
Your car looks freakin' SWEET!!!!!!!!
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
KronixSpeed

Thanks velvet, i see that you went performance, i decided to go with looks. i can't wait till i start my performance route, still sometime away. trust me i'll be asking you lots of questions about performance upgrades in time.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #10

That silver Box on the pic is definitely too low for my taste. Yes, there can be too low. Think of the well arch as a top half of a circle. The wheel also forms a circle. Optimal beauty (for me) is achieved when you cut out as much space between the wheel and the arch WITHOUT moving the center of the well arch circle too much below the wheel's center (hub). When the two centers are aligned, then the lines of the two circles are parallel (matched). The mismatch (such as the one on the silver Box on the pic) is ugly. Kronix, I like how yours looks much better.

Z.

Last edited by z12358; 11-22-2006 at 06:40 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #11
KronixSpeed

ohh n to answer your question grizzly, buy them. such a good price. ask randall, i'm sure he loves his carrera lights....check out the pic that i posted...the silver one with carrera lights....gorgeous...soo simple soo nice!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #12

Hi,

Realizing that BIG Wheels is the Flavor of the Month, especially for the younger guys, I have rarely seen any car with wheels over 18" which actually looks right.

IMHO, I believe that at 19" and up, the wheels dominate the look and the car becomes All Wheels. It's confusing to me why you would want to overshadow a $50k (when new) Car with it's design with a set of $1500-$2000 wheels?

I suppose some guys do it because they want to modify in some way, but don't have the $10k-$20k for the 3.4L engine upgrade or such. It is one of the cheaper mods to do.

To each his own, but given the cost, compromises in performance and ride quality (for both the wheels and lowering), the extra tire expense, and the detracting look of wheels which are too large, I'll stay with my 18's...

Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
KronixSpeed

One thing to consider MN, is that my 17z stock are exactly the same height as my 19z. your 18z are exactly the same height as my 19z. just less rubber. i put them up against each other, and they are the same in height.

you are right in many ways.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #14

There's something else wrong with this photo. There's a fish-eye effect that curves the view and makes the car shorter and taller. That also contributes to the weird look. Compare its proportions to the ones on Jim's photo. I had to figure what it was cause I know MY black Box doesn't look like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Have you guys seen these new 19" Carrera Classic replicas that Wheel Dynamics has? $1,749 with the tires. He has 'em for 986s and 987s. Think Santa can fit them in the sleigh?

Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
KronixSpeed

you are very right....i think its the angle of the camera, that's making it look like that.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Realizing that BIG Wheels is the Flavor of the Month, especially for the younger guys, I have rarely seen any car with wheels over 18" which actually looks right.

IMHO, I believe that at 19" and up, the wheels dominate the look and the car becomes All Wheels. It's confusing to me why you would want to overshadow a $50k (when new) Car with it's design with a set of $1500-$2000 wheels?

I suppose some guys do it because they want to modify in some way, but don't have the $10k-$20k for the 3.4L engine upgrade or such. It is one of the cheaper mods to do.

To each his own, but given the cost, compromises in performance and ride quality (for both the wheels and lowering), the extra tire expense, and the detracting look of wheels which are too large, I'll stay with my 18's...

MN, somewhere is a guy saying the same on your upgrade from 17 to 18.....I actually think the car looks phenomenal with the 19 carerra classics....nothin to do with being a cheaper mod....I eve cringe at dropping 2K for them as is......
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly

If you get those I call dibs on your Techarts

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #18

I can't stand the "slammed look". To me, the wheel needs to fit in the wheel well with the same diameter gap around the whole wheel. People that slam their cars end up with a large gap on the front and back side of the wheel well and little to no gap at the top. It throws the design out of proportion and looks ghetto.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
MN, somewhere is a guy saying the same on your upgrade from 17 to 18.....I actually think the car looks phenomenal with the 19 carerra classics....nothin to do with being a cheaper mod....I eve cringe at dropping 2K for them as is......
Hi,

Hey RELAX! I'm just expressing my opinion here like eveyone else!

BTW, my wheels were a Dealer upgrade on the car when I bought them. Had they not been, I'd not have done the upgrade.

Your opinion is different. That's OK, I don't have a problem with that, why do you...??

Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
If you get those I call dibs on your Techarts
They're not Techarts. They're TSWs, which are far cheaper than Techarts. Frankly, I think broaching the subject with Mrs. Grizzly of changing the rims again might be dangerous. I really do like the Carrera Classics in 19" , but not enough to get killed over.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote