Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #1

Transmission mounts?

Hello - while doing clutch on my 98 base, seems like a good time to replace the 116k transmission mount. Other than the 993 engine mount, has anyone used anything else? Would you advise it?

Would upgrading transmission mount activate the knock sensor and cut power as postulated with stiffer engine mounts?;

Thanks,

chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromecarz00 View Post
Hello - while doing clutch on my 98 base, seems like a good time to replace the 116k transmission mount. Other than the 993 engine mount, has anyone used anything else? Would you advise it?

Would upgrading transmission mount activate the knock sensor and cut power as postulated with stiffer engine mounts?;

Thanks,
I replaced my tranny mounts with rein mounts. I did it along with a much stiffer lemfroder 987 engine mount. No issues with knock sensors (those work on volume of sounds, not intensity of vibration). They completely transferred the feel of the drivetrain (in a positive way).

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I replaced my tranny mounts with rein mounts. I did it along with a much stiffer lemfroder 987 engine mount. No issues with knock sensors (those work on volume of sounds, not intensity of vibration). They completely transferred the feel of the drivetrain (in a positive way).

Thanks for this! How hard was the 987 upgrade, is it direct? How's the NVH, was the lemfroder OEM stiffness? I've heard 987 is much softer
Old 11-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

Thanks for this! How hard was the 987 upgrade, is it direct? How's the NVH, was the lemfroder OEM stiffness? I've heard 987 is much softer so a bit surprised...
Old 12-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for this! How hard was the 987 upgrade, is it direct? How's the NVH, was the lemfroder OEM stiffness? I've heard 987 is much softer so a bit surprised...
Yes, is a direct replacement. Iirc the 986 have the oval shape facing the opposite direction, but the bolt holes line up fine and the side pads still fit without issue (just a bit of stretching)

I went with the 987 because I have read that it is stiffer than the 986 engine mount. The nvh isn't extreme (compared to a Chevy big block it's nothing), but I will be honest that I like a more solid feel for a setup like this. I've never experienced an "out of the box" 986 mount so I can't compare the two. I can tell you though that the setup is as solid as any other performance-geared vehicle I've driven, and there are no rpm-based vibrations or oddities with the feel (if that makes sense). If you're near the 56258 zip code you're welcome to come experience it .

Old 12-04-2022, 07:34 AM   #6

Garage
For what its worth I installed these from PRG: https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/porsche-boxster-caman-986-987-transmission-mount

Simple design and very little increase in NVH.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! I'll be looking into the 987 motor mount.

For the transmission mount, I have tried to refurbish my old ones with poly-fill. Let's see if that works and if not, I'll be upgrading anyway
Old 03-05-2023, 07:21 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll be looking into the 987 motor mount.

For the transmission mount, I have tried to refurbish my old ones with poly-fill. Let's see if that works and if not, I'll be upgrading anyway
Cool, any pictures or pointers?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Cool, any pictures or pointers?
Not OP but I filled mine with shore A 55 polyurethane.
I didn't replace the hydraulic fluid, only filled the empty cavities.

I did notice a slight change for better.
Negatives are slight vibration for the split second the engine comes to life.
I can also feel a tiny vibration in the seat when Idle with AC on.

Overall I'm happy with the modification.
Attached Images

Last edited by Makrilli; 03-05-2023 at 10:29 PM.
Makrilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrantyB View Post
For what its worth I installed these from PRG: https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/porsche-boxster-caman-986-987-transmission-mount

Simple design and very little increase in NVH.

How do you like them?

Hello.AmeerM is offline   Reply With Quote