Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #1

New clutch installed, but I still smell burning

Title pretty much says it all.

I gotta pull the invoice for details, but I had a Porsche-specific shop install a new clutch right around 100k miles. I'm still smelling clutch after normal, around-town driving some 300+ miles later. I'm an experienced driver... no antics. What are the possible causes and would they normally be addressed during a clutch replacement?

Thanks for the time and help.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:59 AM   #2
Administrator

Did you check to make sure they install a complete clutch kit and not just a replacement disc? There is this older thread here where some users reported similar problems when a used pressure plate was used. That may be worth investigating:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/61052-should-new-clutch-smell.html
Matt at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:39 PM   #3

Hello Matt. Thanks for your response.

I pulled the invoice - my memory was way off, confusing a different service visit.

The work was done on 8 June 2022 and I've put 1,700 miles on the car since then. New parts included a clutch kit for $575, a flywheel for $650 and smaller items such as a flywheel bolt, pressure plate bolt, crankshaft seal and cam tower plug. Hopefully the "kit" really did include everything needed.

A few years ago I purchased an LN Engineering IMS kit on sale and left it on a garage shelf waiting for the day the clutch let go. I asked about other items that may be replaced at that stage of disassembly - they passed on the water pump, saying they only replace them when leaking but did replace the air/oil separator.

So... it would seem I'm well beyond whatever bedding period would cause a smell.

As a side note, the clutch pedal itself will make the occasional snapping noise that can be felt. I asked about this and kept getting "it's hydraulic," which I get, but that doesn't explain what I hear and feel in my foot.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote