Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2022, 10:58 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
It sounds like your complaint is the primary ride. I doubt off the shelf coilovers will solve your problem. These are generally aimed at being "uprated" so soft setting isn't necessarily significantly softer than standard. Have a look at the FSD / Special Active. These are similar of softer than stock in the initial primary ride but stiffen up with load. Your other option of course is a custom spec build.
Yes, it seems the special active have been recommended several times. My plan is to first try a smaller wheel with a taller sidewall. I'm going to try a set of indy 500's which supposedly soak up some shocks while retaining a small slip angle when loaded in a turn.

I'm not looking for a huge change, just a bit more comfort over bad sections of road.
DreamSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:06 PM   #2

Koni Special Active

I have Koni Sport (adjustable yellows) on my NA Miata and Koni Special Actives (red) on my '99 986. The Miata is set up for autox and the yellows do that job well. On the street (especially over broken pavement) I prefer the job the red Special Actives do in my 986. And at speed taking corners on smooth pavement, it would be hard to notice much difference between the two.

There was a very detailed article published by TireRack years ago when the Special Actives went by the name of FSD (Frequency Selective Dampening), before they were updated: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp
986andmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986andmx5 View Post
I have Koni Sport (adjustable yellows) on my NA Miata and Koni Special Actives (red) on my '99 986. The Miata is set up for autox and the yellows do that job well. On the street (especially over broken pavement) I prefer the job the red Special Actives do in my 986. And at speed taking corners on smooth pavement, it would be hard to notice much difference between the two.

There was a very detailed article published by TireRack years ago when the Special Actives went by the name of FSD (Frequency Selective Dampening), before they were updated: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp
Thank you for this link.
The quote that stands out is " When driving over expansion joints and smaller bumps the intrusion was distant enough to be largely forgotten"

That is what I am looking for.

I'm hoping to swap to the 17" wheels in a week or so with Indy 500 tires (the setup on my 98 986 tiptronic going to my preferred 5 speed 99 986.

The 98 986 tiptronic was gifted to me and was a complete surprise, but I prefer the 5 speed. So I'll likely sell the 98 tiptronic with the arguably more desirable 18" wheels
DreamSign is offline   Reply With Quote