Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #1

K wire vs elm327

Are there any advantages of tapping into the k wire for data monitoring and logging versus use of Bluetooth elm327 devices coupled with torque pro?

It seems to me that the answer is no but I didn't know if I am missing something.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #2

ELM 327 supports ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s). So K-Line is supported by the PIC in general.

But i don't know what data is used by Torque Pro. From the description i would think they are using OBD2 data only. And because the LIN bus protocol in Porsche cars is very Porsche specific i don't know if something like Torque Pro can interpret it.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #3

Torque pro is only going to read the basic obd data.

With that said, if Durametric/Foxwell/etc can get data then Torque should be able to as well. The trick though is knowing the pids at a minimum.

Is this another thought provoking question or have something up your sleeve? lol
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

Haha nothing up my sleeve here. Genuinely curious about data logging systems for the car. I'm installing aftermarket gauges for oil pressure and also adding warning light switches for things like oil pressure and fuel pressure. One thing I am struggling with though is I would like to be able to monitor the ECU's misfire / knock counter. I have not found a good way to do that. I've ordered a few DC volt monitors with high / low alarms set in them and I think that I can use them to start triggering at specific thresholds to let me know when knock is occurring but I have absolutely no idea whether this approach will work.

I've used an m327 device in conjunction with several apps before and they're pretty decent for data logging. As small block said though, the PID reference values are very specific and Porsche and sensor feeds beyond the most basic ones are not readily available for use.

Does anyone have a good reference for PID numbers for different sensor feeds? I've checked out Neff Moto but haven't had any luck yet. I've got to read through the Land Rover manuals because they have a much more detailed explanation of how their system works utilizing the same ME 7.2 system. Otherwise I'm just kind of making this stuff up as I go (as usual)!

Old 05-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #5

Durametric does logging & sees misfire/knock info. Just wish it could use a BT reader instead of their own. Would rather pay for the software then hardware & get the software for free....now if you wanted to take it a step further that is where some IT work could come into play. Software can look at the log file and then do something based on what it sees in the file. Makes this pretty complicated though

I spent a few months a year ago scouring the net trying to find any pids and never came up with any. I am sure I could eventually reverse some of the dll's from Durametric and find some in there but I gave up on it...was going to be too complicated.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Durametric does logging & sees misfire/knock info. Just wish it could use a BT reader instead of their own. Would rather pay for the software then hardware & get the software for free....now if you wanted to take it a step further that is where some IT work could come into play. Software can look at the log file and then do something based on what it sees in the file. Makes this pretty complicated though

I spent a few months a year ago scouring the net trying to find any pids and never came up with any. I am sure I could eventually reverse some of the dll's from Durametric and find some in there but I gave up on it...was going to be too complicated.
If you still have the dll log files, would you mind sending them? It wouldn't hurt to take a quick look

Last edited by ike84; 05-03-2022 at 05:54 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
ELM 327 supports ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s). So K-Line is supported by the PIC in general.

But i don't know what data is used by Torque Pro. From the description i would think they are using OBD2 data only. And because the LIN bus protocol in Porsche cars is very Porsche specific i don't know if something like Torque Pro can interpret it.
Hey Markus, what are PIC and LIN? Please teach me!

Old 05-03-2022, 06:27 PM   #8

Ok, I found this

https://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html#DME%207.2

This appears to list out the references codes for me 7.2 used in the BMWs of the time. Along with the roves, these were all 8 cylinder applications, so I have no idea if they will translate to our systems. When I get time in a few weeks I'll play around with it and update.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #9

I'll try to remember to log some things in the next week or so for you and send them to you.

You can download & install the durametric software on your PC. There are software applications you can get (not free though) that will rip through a DLL so you can view the code in something like visual studio. They are never perfect though, but it may be possible to reverse engineer some of it, at least to maybe see how they are pulling the data.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #10

I actually have a piwis 2 but haven't played around with it enough to know what it's fully capable of. That may be the best place for me to start. I appreciate you helping out though!

I'm actually really hopeful that the DC voltmeter idea works out. It seems like all the aftermarket visual knock indicators work on the same principle, it's just about finding the threshold. Interestingly the me 5.2 ecu has an output wire specifically for knock detection! You could literally run a piezo or a light off it and be done. But noooopo they had to do away with that for 7.2

Btw, I lied when I had nothing up my sleeve. All of this is in preparation for eventual Dyno tuning. I still have a lot to work through but I'm pretty sure I've figured out how to control afr input. I need to be able to monitor knock and timing (it would be awesome if I could rig a warning light to let me know when the engine is pulling ignition timing but I haven't figured that one out yet). The final part will be timing control. I wish aem would bring back the fic/6...

Update - oh look, I found one! In case the pic quality is crap, it's$99,999. LMFAO

Last edited by ike84; 05-03-2022 at 08:25 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote