Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2022, 04:51 AM   #1

Climate Control Fan Noise

Has anyone experienced a high-pitched whining when the climate control fan speed is adjusted? I feel like it's gotten worse, I used to be able to manually adjust speed up or down a notch and it would go away, but now most of the speed range it whines. Anyone know if this is the blower motor assembly? I'd like to know what to focus on to fix

I should mention the evaporator foam is also coming out, not sure if the two are related...

safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #2

well if the noise changes when the speed of the fan changes, that really points to the fan right?
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #3

Garage
I noticed my fan made an annoying sound that I could hear at the lower fan speeds. So I bought a used fan from a recycler and swapped them....still have the noise! I had already replaced the foam on the HVAC doors first thinking the sound may have been related to them.

Replacing the fan assembly was simple and cheap, IIRC the used fan was $35. I'm just living with the sound for now or running the fan at the higher speeds. If I wire the original fan up and run it on my bench I can hear any odd sounds, so maybe there's something else in the system that I've missed.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
well if the noise changes when the speed of the fan changes, that really points to the fan right?
Thanks Stl-986, & A8ked. I would think it was the fan but you never know with these cars - just wondering if this issue is common and folks have encountered it before

safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , blower motor , climate control , fan , heater