Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 01:21 AM   #1

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Exalto PE2?

Hi,

I need a pair of new tyres for the rear and my local tyre fitter has Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Exalto PE2 in stock, about the same price (PE2 is £5 more).

I have read a few reviews and the Pilot Sport 4 seems to be favoured over the PE2. The PE2 is however a UHP tyre and is a Porsche N0 tyre, so which is best?

I am not bothered about wear, the tyre ages before it wears as I don't do many miles and I am not bothered about really wet or snow as I have a 4x4 for that.

What I want is a good tyre that gives good grip and comfort (my present tyres have gone hard and I can feel every bump).

Ta

DrRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:58 AM   #2

After a bit of searching on the web, I might be able to answer my own question.

It seems the Pilot Sport 3 replaced the Exalto PE2 a few years ago
The Pilot Sport 4 replaced the Pilot Sport 3

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-3-PS3.htm

I can't work out why then they still sell Exalto PE2 if it has been replaced.

So looks like the Pilot Sport 4 for me, I would rather have the newer tyre design.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #3

What do you have on the front?

You don't want to mix tire brands front & rear. Either match what you have on front or buy 4 tires.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

You don't want to mix tire brands front & rear. Either match what you have on front or buy 4 tires.
I have Continentals on the front, fitted last year, but they don't do a tyre for the rear in the same series, so I would be stuck trying to find some Contis which do fit and are similar.

I know people always say fit the same tyre to all four wheels, but what difference does it actually make, providing you fit the same tyre to the same axle?
Old 11-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

Garage
What model and size of continentals are you looking for? I`m sure they make DW 255 in 17`s and 18`s, I have both.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:

+ 1 on Husker suggestion, specially on a wet road which you guys have some times right..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobin View Post
I have Continentals on the front, fitted last year, but they don't do a tyre for the rear in the same series, so I would be stuck trying to find some Contis which do fit and are similar.

I know people always say fit the same tyre to all four wheels, but what difference does it actually make, providing you fit the same tyre to the same axle?
The different brands of tires (tyres) have different levels of grip and different slip angles. This will be a problem when you least need a problem, in an emergency maneuver when you have to steer or brake very hard or when you run through standing water at highway speeds.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:

+1 Mixing just is not worth it
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
The different brands of tires (tyres) have different levels of grip and different slip angles. This will be a problem when you least need a problem, in an emergency maneuver when you have to steer or brake very hard or when you run through standing water at highway speeds.
+1

Different brands have different levels of grip b/c companies use different rubber compounds. A tire may even have different compounds across the tread - the outside may have a harder compound vs a softer compound in the center or inside of the tire. They do this on track centric tires so you don't rip the outside of the tire off. Each brand uses its own compound based on what it believes is the key emphasis for that tire - traction, longevity, ride, etc.

As Paul stated, mixing brands may not be an issue in dry conditions but you'll notice it in wet or temp extreme (hot or cold) conditions. Based on where you live, extreme conditions are in play. You'll end up with a wicked handling car if you mix brands.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-05-2021 at 08:48 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:44 AM   #10

My rear wheel size is 225/50 R16, Conti do make a tyre in this size, but I can’t find anyone round here who will supply and fit, so have gone for the Sport 4s.

I don’t drive my Boxster to it’s limit or even to the point where it is about to loose grip and I doubt very much that I will experience any issues with different manufacturers, but if I do I will get Sport 4s on the front.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:33 AM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Coming from Continental Sport Contact N2 (which imo were excellent tires for the last 2 decades), I wanted to get the pinnacle of tires now, the new and award winning Michelin Pilot Sport 4S...
...and wasn't able to source them. And neither could a tire shop, nor Porsche (18"). So what to do? Okay, lets get the old Porsche N-certified ones,.....say what?
Conti Sport Contact N2 = n.a. / eol
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 = n.a. / eol
...."Houston, we have a tire problem"

Long story short, I will get Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (not officially certified by Porsche...whoopedeedoo, and sadly not the 4S) which seem to be the 2nd best choice, imo. In all aspects the better and more modern choice, than the old trustworthy Conti Sport Contact N2. Tire technology evolved A LOT since the last 20 years.

Beats my old Contis in all 3 ratings. Yes, I know...Conti has new and modern Sport Contacts, but also not N-certified. I am trying Michelin now.

Last edited by BRAN; 11-06-2021 at 04:47 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #12

Lets not get carried away here.

Porsche Boxsters were once delivered from the factory with different tread designs on the tire for the front and rear wheels. Pirelli. My '99 had them on 17"s.

The OP says he has another car he uses in inclement weather, doesn't track his car and puts minimal miles on the Boxster judging from his comment about ageing vs wear out.

While I used Michelins on my Boxsters and even all my other cars and SUVs in the last 20 years, I wouldn't even go as expensive as Michelins for this car. An undemanding use doesn't require the best.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:46 AM   #13
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
PS4S I only available in 19" upwards. Ithinkbth same for the comparable Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport.

There is an updated Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect which looks like it has more size options compred to the regular Cup 2. Increasingly these newer high performance tyres you can find for the 986 but only font or red axle size rarely both. But as above for normal driving the top end tyres aren't really needed.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Lets not get carried away here.

Porsche Boxsters were once delivered from the factory with different tread designs on the tire for the front and rear wheels. Pirelli. My '99 had them on 17"s.

The OP says he has another car he uses in inclement weather, doesn't track his car and puts minimal miles on the Boxster judging from his comment about ageing vs wear out.

While I used Michelins on my Boxsters and even all my other cars and SUVs in the last 20 years, I wouldn't even go as expensive as Michelins for this car. An undemanding use doesn't require the best.
New tyres fitted yesterday and a few miles covered, so far it hasn't thrown me in the ditch so all looks good.

Thanks for all the advice.

Robin