Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Need windshield replacement .. do I have rain sensor ?

Have not driven this car in a few years and I'm working on getting it running again. Unfortunately when it sat, the windshield got damaged by debris falling off my roof.

So now I need to replace it and I can't remember if I have that option or not .. but through some quick Google, it seems the rain sensor was in the wiper, not the glass .. I think.

The car is a 2001 Type S.

Now I need to select an option for the glass replacement company to order. The cost is x2 if I need the rain sensor glass.

My questions are :

1. Is there a way I can visually tell if I have sensor glass? Are the sensors etc visible ?

2. If I have the sensor glass now, can I opt for non-sensor glass as a replacement and just disable this feature since I don't need it ?

Thanks!

Last edited by nefarious986; 08-25-2021 at 09:03 AM.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

Last edited by RedTele58; 08-25-2021 at 12:10 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #3

If this list is correct, see if you have option code 265 on the sticker inside your front trunk lid or in your warranty book. It looks like the rain sensor was paired with the auto-dimming rear view mirror in 2001.

Also, if you care about having the two tone black and titanium trim which was standard on the S, around your windshield, you need to order that from Porsche. Your glass guy will only have generic black trim.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
How big is the mirror attachment? Generally the rain sensor is substantially larger and also has a tube (wire conduit) going from the base to the windshield header. Also typically an auto-dimming unit.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Not sure if that helps, but I installed the original rain sensor set (99661298100) retrofit kit:
Looks like this and needs to be attached right above the mirror socket.

I love it and the led sensors glow visibly in the dark, looks cool.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #6

Garage
The rain sensor is attached to the windshield and not build into the windshield like many have mentioned and it looks like the one Bran posted.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Not sure if that helps, but I installed the original rain sensor set (99661298100) retrofit kit:
Looks like this and needs to be attached right above the mirror socket.

I love it and the led sensors glow visibly in the dark, looks cool.
With that kit, do you ever need to use the wiper stalk?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #8
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
With that kit, do you ever need to use the wiper stalk?

Just once, when pressing the stalk downward, and instead of the fixed intervall, you'll have a perfectly (not annoying at all) automated seamless wiper speed, depending on how heavy it rains.
The regular functionality (normal/fast) stays intact btw...but I never used those settings again...ever.

Last edited by BRAN; 08-27-2021 at 01:16 PM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Just once, when press the stalk downward, and instead of the fixed intervall, you'll have a perfectly (not annoying at all) automated seamless wiper speed, depending on how heavy it rains.

The regular functionality (normal/fast) stays intact btw...but I never used those settings again...ever.
What happens if you leave the wiper stalk pressed downward (i.e. leave it on all the time). Will the wipers only operate when it senses rain?

I'm toying with the idea of doing away with all my stalks and relocating buttons to the steering wheel, like the clubsport cars, and this may be an interesting solution for the wiper function!

Old 08-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
What happens if you leave the wiper stalk pressed downward (i.e. leave it on all the time). Will the wipers only operate when it senses rain?

I'm toying with the idea of doing away with all my stalks and relocating buttons to the steering wheel, like the clubsport cars, and this may be an interesting solution for the wiper function!

Yep, will be on stand-by till it detects rain and will stop as soon as it senses no rain on the sensors anymore.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #11

If I remember correctly, looking from the outside onto where the mirror attaches to the windshield. You should see the sensors at the base. it's not solid black like a regular one. I've only seen one once
Old 08-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Yep, will be on stand-by till it detects rain and will stop as soon as it senses no rain on the sensors anymore.
Thanks Bran! As always, you're a wealth of information.