Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Yes the stock air filter and air intake system up the throttle body has to be changed. It should be a simple D.I.Y.*

*Unless you change the cone filter on these oil based air intake system routinely they have been known to pre-maturely kill sensitive MAFs(Audi & Porsches)
Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #3

aye, blink...been thinking about getting one of those high flow air intake but just worried that you have to be a rocket scientist
Have you done it already? if so, do you have to get a special tool or jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Yes the stock air filter and air intake system up the throttle body has to be changed. It should be a simple D.I.Y.*

*Unless you change the cone filter on these oil based air intake system routinely they have been known to pre-maturely kill sensitive MAFs(Audi & Porsches)
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
aye, blink...been thinking about getting one of those high flow air intake but just worried that you have to be a rocket scientist
Have you done it already? if so, do you have to get a special tool or jack?
I haven't done it myself but know of some who have. It should be as simple as removing the old air filter/intake tubes(alot of wiggling) and replacing them and reseatting the MAF. I'm not 100% sure,but f you can access the engine bay you should be able to change it,no special jack is needed but the torx-bit is needed to remove/install the MAF.
I'm sure someone w/ the mod will chime in when they are logged in.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #5

The torx bit comes with the Evoms kit. As for the jack, it does help to lift it to get out the stock air box. Do not think no matter what you do you will break an ear off the stock airbox. It is no big deal so do not worry about it at. Get in touch with your forum spons Imagine auto they sell the same one (www.imagineauto.com) to see if they will work a deal for forum members. They do for rennlisters!

Btw: It is a 3 hour job start to finish!

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale

Last edited by JP-s-in st. louis; 11-09-2006 at 06:13 PM.
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #6

cool...thanks Blink and JP!
Here's what I was thinking to get: http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/ViewProduct.asp?Now=11%2F9%2F2006+7%3A01%3A26+PM&ProductID=%7B3E56FA35%2DA52D%2D4B03%2D98A6%2D9DB50 B0EF523%7D&OrgID=%7BCA5E16BC%2DD877%2D4137%2D8237%2D7EB9084DD 3D8%7D&ParentID=%7B93E09B8B%2DEDA2%2D48D2%2D805D%2DD007B7 E5B624%7D&Curr=%7B93E09B8B%2DEDA2%2D48D2%2D805D%2DD007B7E5B6 24%7D

Let me know what you think or if someone has installed one of this. I might take it to regular shop here called Carlab in Sta. Clara...

hey blkboxster...i don't mean to hijack the thread, coo..
Old 11-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #7

That is what my last post was about. I had one before the Super Charger

Old 11-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
That is what my last post was about. I had one before the Super Charger
really...so you've installed S/C too....must be really sweet to run now

can oyu give me the link for your last post regarding intakes, if you don't have it, that's coo..i'll look for it over the weekend
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
boggtown

I havent looked at the airbox, or the design of it, so dont bash me. In my Z3, the air box had tubes in it, so I cut them out, and added a 6 inch length of 3 inch tube from the airbox to the front bumper. What im saying is, when I cut out all that restriction, it gave me tons more torque up high, does the boxster have any unneccesary baffles that could be eliminated to have a higher flow design?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #10

My link to the great guys that did the S/C install.

imagine auto

and my pics of delivery are

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/JPrewitt_2006/Porsche%20Delivery/Porsche%20SC%20Delivery/?action=view&slideshow=truePorsche SC 350 HP Boxster

Last edited by JP-s-in st. louis; 11-10-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #11

hey jp...if you don't mind...can you tell me how much did it cost to install the s/c? pm me if you want
Old 11-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #12

aye, blk...i checked out the evoms website and they have a step by step on how to install it...i thought it was going to be really hard but it looks like just a matter of having "patience"...hehehehehe! I didn't even see in the instruction about getting a floor jack but it tells what type of tools needs to be use....I might do it prolly next month...good luck to me

Old 11-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I havent looked at the airbox, or the design of it, so dont bash me. In my Z3, the air box had tubes in it, so I cut them out, and added a 6 inch length of 3 inch tube from the airbox to the front bumper. What im saying is, when I cut out all that restriction, it gave me tons more torque up high, does the boxster have any unneccesary baffles that could be eliminated to have a higher flow design?
I don't think the airbox has many unnecessary baffles in it, but the mufflers sure do. One race shop in SoCal makes a crazy sound with mufflers by opening up the muffler and taking all the junk out - opening up the flow as much as the stock pipes will allow.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #14

epiq...sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
I don't think the airbox has many unnecessary baffles in it, but the mufflers sure do. One race shop in SoCal makes a crazy sound with mufflers by opening up the muffler and taking all the junk out - opening up the flow as much as the stock pipes will allow.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #15

I just recently went thru this on my '01 S and depending on your level of skill - it can be difficult.

I would start off by saying that I am pretty proficient with my car and have done most of the tinkering on it.

When I got the kit, the first thing I did was to take the filter and stuffed a bunch of paper towels in the center of the cone. I then took my air compressor at 100 PSI and blew out the excess oil in the filter - and there was a lot.

I then opened up the engine compartment and spec'd out everything. After studying everything for an hour - I decided that I would have my local dealership do the install. The reason? It is extremely tight in there and the thought of removing and reinstalling the manifold didn't appeal to me Plus there is a mounting bracket that can only be accessed from underneath the vehicle.

If I am uncertain on the install - I usually gage the DIY projects by this: if I screw up the install - will it cost me more than the dealer would have initially charged?

After taking it to the dealership, it still took them 1.5 hours to install. (which was only on the airbox - as I had previously removed the snokel in an earlier mod). The problem that they ran into was trying to get the stock airbox out. Even with the manifold off - they could not get it out and indicated they would have to further breakdown the car to get it out (= another 1.5 - 2 hours). I told them screw the airbox and to cut it in half to get it out - which they did.

Post install thoughts - IMO there is no performance gains from having it installed. Although the sound is much more throatier and sounds a lot more aggressive. When you hit 4k it really opens up the sound and is pretty loud.

Recently (past couple of days) the car has been acting a bit funny - *sometimes* when you start it - the car will start up - sputter a bit - then die. It hasn't happened a lot - but I can't help to think about oil on the MAF. I have already picked up some electrical contact cleaner and will be checking it out this weekend. If it is fouled with oil - I will be surprised since I blew off all of the excess oil and wrapped it in newspaper for 4 days prior to the install.

All in all I am pretty happy with it and love the sound. But if I had to do it over - I would have taken the $350 + $100 install and applied it to Deluboz's headers and muffler.

Last edited by Dante; 11-10-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #16

That is correct if you do not plan to do the GIAC do not do the intake if you plan on it it is well worth the cash. Thats why they have the stage 1 and stage 2 type kits. The modificatns that you do to the car work together.

I installed the kit and found it to be easy but time consuming but that is just me and I enjoy working on my car.

I have a goal of pulling 400 crak out of my car and will not be happy till I do :dance:

Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #17

so Dante, if you are going to do it again...would you change exhaust first and then the high flow intakes? headers are probably in the near future

and what kind of intakes did you use? i have a choice between evom's or the epiq?

Last edited by unklekraker; 11-10-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #18
blkboxster

hey blkboxster...i don't mean to hijack the thread, coo.. [/QUOTE]

its all cool
Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
so Dante, if you are going to do it again...would you change exhaust first and then the high flow intakes? headers are probably in the near future

and what kind of intakes did you use? i have a choice between evom's or the epiq?
I went with the EVO. Also to note - many of the retailers do not "stock" the item and order it after you have placed your order. Thus resulting in a 2-3 week delivery!

I had order mine from a local company (Charolette, NC) which is a 1 day transit. After 1.5 weeks and nothing, I called to complain and that's when I got the real story. Being upset about not being told this upfront, I was going to go with another company in PA. After calling them and asking about stock on hand, I received the same story

As for the exhaust first or intake............don't know. My point was that you will get an increase in performance and sound with an exhaust system but will only get the sound with the intake.

I personally would still like to go with the exhaust setup - but am weary due to sound. I am afraid that with headers, exhaust and intake - it will be way too loud.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #20

thanks! that's true...headers, exhaust and intake set up might be too loud! i think i'll stick with exhaust and intake set up
thanks again, dante!