Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Boxster right side exhaust vent myth

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but for years I’ve seen posts here, on other forums and on FB (2 posts today alone) that the right side vent on the 986 is an ‘exhaust’ vent. This seems to be a pervasive belief.

Sorry but the ‘right side vent exhaust’ is a Boxster myth except for one specific circumstance. The right side vent does passively release engine compartment heat when the car is at rest but only when the engine compartment cooling fan is *not* running. As designed by Porsche, at speed or when the cooling fan is running, air is taken in through the right hand vent and exhausted around the transaxle housing via pressure differential. Don’t believe it? Take a 2”x12” strip of newspaper, start the engine compartment cooling fan (preferably with your Durametric). Dangle the strip of newspaper broadside from the top of the vent - it will be sucked into the vent

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-14-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but for years I’ve seen posts here, on other forums and on FB (2 posts today alone) that the right side vent on the 986 is an ‘exhaust’ vent. This seems to be a pervasive belief.

Sorry but the ‘right side vent exhaust’ is a Boxster myth except for one specific circumstance. The right side vent does passively release engine compartment heat when the car is at rest but only when the engine compartment cooling fan is *not* running. As designed by Porsche, at speed or when the cooling fan is running, air is taken in through the right hand vent and exhausted around the transaxle housing via pressure differential. Don’t believe it? Take a 2”x12” strip of newspaper, start the engine compartment cooling fan (preferably with your Durametric). Dangle the strip of newspaper broadside from the top of the vent - it will be sucked into the vent
Fred,
Lots of incorrect beliefs in the Boxster world.
Things like:
Narrow band O2 sensors "adjust fuel".
Narrow bandO2 sensors "read air/fuel ratios".
MAF sensors measure "air volume".
When you press the gas pedal down your giving the engine "gas".
All untrue

Last edited by blue62; 07-14-2021 at 10:40 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:33 AM   #3
PLP

So... it is intake then? What filter does it take?

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Fred,
Lots of incorrect beliefs in the Boxster world.
Things like:
Narrow band O2 sensors "adjust fuel".
Narrow bandO2 sensors "read air/fuel ratios".
MAF sensors measure "air volume".
When you press the gas pedal down your giving the engine "gas".
All untrue
Agreed, lots of misinformation around.

rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 07-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
So... it is intake then? What filter does it take?
Yes, Intake. Filter would be worse than worthless, it would impede the fresh air flow through the engine compartment.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:28 AM   #6
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Yes, Intake. Filter would be worse than worthless, it would impede the fresh air flow through the engine compartment.
The old guy did not hear my sarcastic tone and the emoji did not help.
It was meant to be a joke.

Anyone who ever replaced air filter should know what you said.

Funny thing is with the bottom/belly cover removed, the fan does not kick in so often.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #7

Can we please add "an aftermarket tune have me 25hp" to this list?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk