Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #1

Garage
Changing tie rods on 2001 986 S and can’t get the inner tie rod out

I’m changing my inner and outer tie rods. The right outer tie rod needs replacing so thought since it’s apart, why not change the inner one’s too. Bought both and also the tool to get the clamp off the boot and a inner tie rod tool with 12 inserts. Went to use the 32.5 and it’s a little loose and slips. Also tried the 1 1/4 and still loose. The next sizes down are 29mm and 1 13/16 and they’re both too small.
I think these are the original tie rods.
I looked at different tie rod tool sets and they all seem to have the same sizes. When trying the insert on the new ones, the 32.5mm fits perfect and snug.
Any suggestions?
Will have to see if an auto parts store has a size that will work.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-01-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #2

Garage
Got it sorted out, went and got a free loaner inner tie rod set (the one with the green tube) and worked perfectly. I took my 32.5mm and 1 1/4 with me and ended up the kit that I got all the inserts are little over 1mm larger then they say. Immediately knew their kit would work as I could clearly see the theirs was smaller. Brought it home and worked perfectly.
I’d suggest not buying this kit. I didn’t know my local auto parts place would have a loaner so I bought one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B092CM4PXP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote