Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Garage
After repairing my car the ABS and brake pad sensor lights are on, don't know why.

I had a mishap with my car and it's all fixed, but now the ABS and pad wear dash lights are on. Looking for any suggestions on how to remedy it.
Before the incident the car had all new pads, rotors, and sensors and the brake system flushed. Everything was perfect.
I replaced the left rear hub carrier, axle and bunch of suspension parts. The speed sensor cable was fine, but the brake pad wear sensor wires were ripped out of the plug. I put in a new sensor. Also, the hub that I got had a little different looking wheel speed sensor and had a different kind of plug. Mine is a 2001 S 6 speed and the hub was from a 2002 S speed. I used my old speed sensor since it was fine and undamaged.

The ABS fuse is fine, just don't know what would cause both lights to now come on.
I've driven about 20 miles and in the last two days and lights still on.

It's strange that the pad sensor is new so why is the wear light on.

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #2

you need to read & post the codes for abs. You can do this with a durametric but a standard obd2 reader wont be able to.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:20 PM   #3

Also, the brake sensor wont light up the abs light. it will only light up the brake pad light.

I am going to take a guess but either the hub is the wrong one, wrong sensor, bad sensor or the spacing is wrong. That of course assumes that the wheel that is causing the light is the one you worked on and not a different one.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #4

I can't help you with the warning light issues. but glad to hear that you have that black beauty back on the road!
Old 06-26-2021, 10:35 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks, I'll have to get one of those readers. I have a cheap iCarsoft reader and it just says "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU".
The hub has the same part number on it as mine so the hub is the same. The lights I would think have to be from the left rear since that's the only thing I touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Also, the brake sensor wont light up the abs light. it will only light up the brake pad light.

I am going to take a guess but either the hub is the wrong one, wrong sensor, bad sensor or the spacing is wrong. That of course assumes that the wheel that is causing the light is the one you worked on and not a different one.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #6

Garage
Thank you, it felt great getting it on the road again after a month and a half sitting on jacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnine11 View Post
I can't help you with the warning light issues. but glad to hear that you have that black beauty back on the road!
Old 06-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #7

Well, your car was in a wreck. Assuming isn't something I would do.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 06-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #8

Garage
Don’t know if this makes a difference, the first link is for the ABS speed sensor I had originally, and the 2nd link is the one that came with the used hub carrier that had a different plug and the sensor looked different.
Pelican says the the 2nd one can't guarantee it fits for my car. The only thing that tore was the brake pad sensor and replaced it with a new one. And the ABS speed sensor wasn’t damaged so I had to use mine since the one from the hub tue connector didn’t fit.
The hub carrier was the same part number, so not sure why the ABS and pad wear sensor are lit. Have to buy a durametric soon can get the codes.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99660640600.htm?pn=996-606-406-00-M14&SVSVSI=1048&fs=0

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99660640702.htm?pn=996-606-407-02-M14&SVSVSI=1048&fs=0

Quote:
Well, your car was in a wreck. Assuming isn't something I would do.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jasper7821; 06-28-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #9

Garage
Also while testing the brakes, the left front is locking up, ABS is working on all the other tires. The left tire went up the curb as well but there was no damage that I could see except for the rim needed to be repaired and had to replace the tire. When I had it on the lift earlier, I looked at all 4 wheels and the ABS speed sensor and pad wear sensor wires and plugs all looked ok.
Still trying to figure it out.
Does the Duramatic tell you which wheel has an ABS fault? Still need to get one of them.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 06-27-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:45 AM   #10

FYI: a Durametric is a specially made communication cable that has to be used with a Windows based laptop . You buy the cable , download the software to your computer and you are good to go . There are two versions available , a DIY version and a pro version . The DIY can read three different cars/VIN numbers . The pro version is unlimited .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:25 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
FYI: a Durametric is a specially made communication cable that has to be used with a Windows based laptop . You buy the cable , download the software to your computer and you are good to go . There are two versions available , a DIY version and a pro version . The DIY can read three different cars/VIN numbers . The pro version is unlimited .
Thank you, I’ve been looking at them. I think I’m ok with the Enthusiast one. I think since the left front is skidding when testing, I think that's the wheel that’s causing the light. I took the wheel off and unplugged/cleaned both cables and everything looks fine. Hopefully the durametric can tell me what needs to be fixed. And for the pad wear sensor, all 4 wheels have new brake pads and sensors and all installed correctly.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 06-28-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #12

Jasper, out of curiosity did you replaced the wheel bearing on the new hub..?

The first time I replaced my rear wheel bearings, I installed them backwards (..!) and the magnetic strip was at the wrong side of the hub and as soon as I took the car for a test drive, the ABS failure light was On..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Jasper, out of curiosity did you replaced the wheel bearing on the new hub..?

The first time I replaced my rear wheel bearings, I installed them backwards (..!) and the magnetic strip was at the wrong side of the hub and as soon as I took the car for a test drive, the ABS failure light was On..
The wheel bearing on the used hub was installed correctly.

I talked to Pelican and was thinking of buying the Duramatic and they said probably wouldn't do anything in this case.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 06-28-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #14

You have 2 lights on the dash. Durametric will tell you why. Or you can spend time trying to figure it out yourself.

Personally I just clip the pad sensors and tie them together. I dont need a light to tell me when the pads are low, it's pretty obvious if you drive the car and listen.

Now you are saying that 1 wheel is skidding? What do you mean by that?
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #15

Garage
Thank You, I had called Pelican and was maybe going to order the Durametic and the guy said it's just going to tell me something is wrong, but that's it. He said I'd have to take it to the dealer to get full detail of why the light is on.
And all the pads were only a month old.

And testing the ABS on the road I slammed on the brakes and ABS worked on all the wheels except the front left locked up and skidded. Did that about 4 times with the same result.

Quote:
You have 2 lights on the dash. Durametric will tell you why. Or you can spend time trying to figure it out yourself.

Personally I just clip the pad sensors and tie them together. I dont need a light to tell me when the pads are low, it's pretty obvious if you drive the car and listen.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 06-28-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #16

Dont call Pelican. Just order directly from Durametric.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:51 PM   #17

Garage
Still looking at getting a Durametric.
In the meantime, I moved the ABS sensor to the left rear. Now both front wheels lockup when testing the brakes. The car still stops fine, just skids when slamming on the brake pedal.
Don't know why switching the sensor from the front to the rear would now make both wheels skid, instead of just the left front.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #18

Garage
I rented a Durametric and should be here beginning of next week.
They also said for the ABS, it's just going to tell you the fault code, but not going to tell you what wheel or why. I can clear the code, but that doesn't help as it will just come back on and I'm hoping to resolve why it's on.
Also, the list doesn't say anything about the pad wear sensor, I have no idea why that light is on as all 4 sensors are new and installed correctly.

Someone suggested disconnecting the battery, did that as well with no luck.

Quote:

Attached Images

Old 07-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #19

Honestly just ignore the brake pad light. it has nothing to do with the issue. It is on cause it sees a brake in a wire to any of the pad sensors. It could be at the pad or anywhere along the path.

With that said, given that you have both and the pad sensors are new you very well could have a break in the wire/connector. Been 4 years since I dealt with similar issue and I dont have a car on a lift right now to get a picture, but the 2 sensors go into a single harness at each wheel. These can get chaffed/cut/rubbed. Very common cause porsche makes a repair kit for it. When I ran into this my durametric did say which wheel sensor it wasn't reading.

Again, I dont care about brake pad sensor on my cars. I dont even use them. I just cut the end off, connect the 2 wires and it thinks the sensor is there. All it is is a contact sensor so it doesn't really matter.

I would get it in the air, go to each wheel, pull the wheel sensor and ohm it out. FSM should have the specs or it's somewhere on the interwebs.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #20

Garage
Thank You,
I did unbolt all 4 of the connectors from the hub and unplugged both sensors and cleaned and blew air into the plugs and connectors. All of them looked totally fine. The pad sensor pulled the wires from the left rear plug when the hub carrier broke, but I replaced it with the same part number. And that's great that the Duramatic told you which one wasn't reading. Hopefully when my loaner arrives it will tell me that so it will narrow it down to which wheel.

I'll search for the connector rebuild kit and also look for what the speed sensor resistance is supposed to be.

Quote:
Honestly just ignore the brake pad light. it has nothing to do with the issue. It is on cause it sees a brake in a wire to any of the pad sensors. It could be at the pad or anywhere along the path.

With that said, given that you have both and the pad sensors are new you very well could have a break in the wire/connector. Been 4 years since I dealt with similar issue and I dont have a car on a lift right now to get a picture, but the 2 sensors go into a single harness at each wheel. These can get chaffed/cut/rubbed. Very common cause porsche makes a repair kit for it. When I ran into this my durametric did say which wheel sensor it wasn't reading.

Again, I dont care about brake pad sensor on my cars. I dont even use them. I just cut the end off, connect the 2 wires and it thinks the sensor is there. All it is is a contact sensor so it doesn't really matter.

I would get it in the air, go to each wheel, pull the wheel sensor and ohm it out. FSM should have the specs or it's somewhere on the interwebs.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-01-2021 at 03:25 PM.