Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Garage
Charging and ABS gone

New adventures with the Boxster. On my way home with the kid from the daycare battery and ABS light came up together, all of a sudden, while accelerating. First I thought it`s the belt but coolant temperature didn`t seem to be affected, so I just drove home and verified with my voltmeter there`s no charging whatsoever. I`m suspecting the alternator/voltage regulator, although I rebuilt it 5000 miles ago... But why did the ABS light come on? It`s somehow sensitive to the drop of voltage? Or the co-occurence reflects some specific failure? It`s still on by the way. How long does it take to pull the alternator? Last time I did it the engine was out, it was fairly easy. Thanks for any input, looks like I have my Saturday program...

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #2

From start to finish I would say 30-45 minutes. that includes removing the carpet, panel, belt & alternator and then putting it back together. Extra time if you need to beat on it to get the lower bolt & collar free. Typical to also replace the belt while you are in there if is 5+ years old.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
From start to finish I would say 30-45 minutes. that includes removing the carpet, panel, belt & alternator and then putting it back together. Extra time if you need to beat on it to get the lower bolt & collar free. Typical to also replace the belt while you are in there if is 5+ years old.
Ok, that`s not bad. Belt is kinda new, I replaced it when I rebuilt the alternator.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote