Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #1

High Pitched Whine

I'm in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, so bear that in mind when it comes to temperatures. My wife had the Boxster out, and when she arrived home, as she was pulling into the garage, I heard a fairly loud, high pitched whine. It sounded similar to a dentist drill. It's the first time I've heard it.

I immediately ruled out the SAI, as I can't imagine that would be running with the car at full operating temperature. Turned the car off, the whine immediately stopped. I didn't have a chance to revisit the issue until this morning. I started the car, and the whine was gone. Turned on the A/C, and confirmed both front fans are operating as normal.

It's really hard to tell where noises come from at times, but it seemed to be in the front half of the car, so an engine related cause is not on the suspect list at this time.

Should my next step be to check the high-speed fan operation? I can do that with a jumper wire at the relay, correct? Can that be done with the ignition off? Which relays specifically control the high-speed fan setting?

If I'm off track, suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
I'm in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, so bear that in mind when it comes to temperatures. My wife had the Boxster out, and when she arrived home, as she was pulling into the garage, I heard a fairly loud, high pitched whine. It sounded similar to a dentist drill. It's the first time I've heard it.

I immediately ruled out the SAI, as I can't imagine that would be running with the car at full operating temperature. Turned the car off, the whine immediately stopped. I didn't have a chance to revisit the issue until this morning. I started the car, and the whine was gone. Turned on the A/C, and confirmed both front fans are operating as normal.

It's really hard to tell where noises come from at times, but it seemed to be in the front half of the car, so an engine related cause is not on the suspect list at this time.

Should my next step be to check the high-speed fan operation? I can do that with a jumper wire at the relay, correct? Can that be done with the ignition off? Which relays specifically control the high-speed fan setting?

Thanks!
Sounds similar to what I experienced with my new to me 99. The left front fan didn't work all the time. When I replaced it the occasional jet engine noise went away.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

Thanks!
First... you should identify from where the whine is coming. Run the car and, with two people, listen for the whine fron the front, middle, and rear of the car.

Yes. The fans can be jumped from the relays. I replaced both fans (one? I forget.) and don't recall if I had the ignition in the off or accessory position. Do a search upon this forum... I believe I covered my challenge and certain of the details may be covered therein.

Find the source, first.

If it is a fan... easily you can access it (either one) with wheel removed then peeling back the fender well liner. If you need a fan let me know. I saved the one that wasn't "bad". I replaced both from a wreck with 60K miles on it. My car at the time had ~128K.

Best wishes.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #4

Thanks gang...I'll have to see if it returns at some point. I was going to see about testing the high speed fan operation to determine if that's where the noise was coming from.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #5

all you need is to apply 12v to the fan to test that, dont need any diag tool for that.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
all you need is to apply 12v to the fan to test that, dont need any diag tool for that.
Only problem is getting at the fan in order to apply 12V; so your choice is between taking the car apart to test the fan, or plugging in the Durametric system and clicking on an icon. I know exactly where I would fall if faced with that choice.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Only problem is getting at the fan in order to apply 12V; so your choice is between taking the car apart to test the fan, or plugging in the Durametric system and clicking on an icon. I know exactly where I would fall if faced with that choice.
We're certainly on the same page! So, is jumping at the relay also not a viable solution?

Old 05-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
We're certainly on the same page! So, is jumping at the relay also not a viable solution?
Doing that only test part of the harness and system, testing via the OBD II port tests everything.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #9
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Noise identification - camshaft angles / deviation

Edit: Sorry did not mean to post here!
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
My wife had the Boxster out, and when she arrived home, as she was pulling into the garage, I heard a fairly loud, high pitched whine. It sounded similar to a dentist drill. It's the first time I've heard it.

Thanks!
Did you forget Mothers Day?

Particlewave has good instruction in the attached thread for relay identification and jumper points.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72780-1999-986-left-radiator-fan-not-working.html
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Did you forget Mothers Day?

Particlewave has good instruction in the attached thread for relay identification and jumper points.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72780-1999-986-left-radiator-fan-not-working.html
That's the thread I used when diagnosing my non-working fan(s). Just jump them.