Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #1

Opinions needed: Hardtop?

I found a factory hardtop in my car's color (Guards Red) near me. It's OEM and NOS expensive to be sure, but not out of my budget. My question is is it worth the expense? When I go to sell the car years from now would it help the sale? The cool factor is undeniable, but practicality?

I have a 99 Boxster in Guards Red and it is in great, low-mile shape with all of the major problem areas addressed. I know that it is ultimately up to me, but just looking for some opinions on what you would do if it were you...

I'm not having much luck finding a used one, but would that be something I could post a "want to buy" in the classifieds here maybe?

obrad48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #2

racers want them cause it is required. Not sure what your budget is but they usually sell for around $1k. Anyone asking for more then $1200 will be siting on it for a long time.

I always look for one just to have it and increase re-sale value but...unless you drive it in the winter it isn't very useful. Plus you have to store it when not installed, plus installing & removing, etc. Once you have done it once you will tell yourself you aren't going to put it back on. I have had the hard top on miata's and it's just as much of a pain.

I have 2 Jeep Wranglers (TJ & JK) and it's even more of a pain, especially to store them. Having a hard top dangling from the ceiling or on a cart just takes up room in a garage. Necessary on a Jeep cause it really does help with sound on those cars but on a 986 there isn't much difference and my Porsche never go out in the winter.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #3

I think they are absolutely worth having. They add another dimension to the car. They quiet the interior and give the car a different look.

If you decide against it, PM me. I'm looking for a Guards Red hardtop.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

Garage
As you can tell from the responses here, it depends on how you use your car and where you live.
My car came with the hardtop option and I like it. But, I live in a wet area and drive the car all year in all conditions. My hardtop is typically on the car from Oct thru May and on the storage rack in my garage during the summer months. As has been said it makes the car a different place inside especially when the weather is bad and gives a completely different look to the car when its installed. I've found the installation quick and easy, takes just a couple minutes. It's not heavy but is awkward to handle so best to have one person to help.
Some like it and some don't, it's your call and your car go with what you like!

Last edited by A8ked; 05-10-2021 at 10:32 AM.
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Nice to have as long as you have an easy place to store it when you are not using it. My wife prefers her car with the hardtop on. I can install and remove it alone, but it's best with another person. Like A8ked said; not heavy, but awkward. Stl-986's comment about price was accurate last year, but prices have gone way up and availability down. I think it's hard to find one anywhere for under $1,500 now unless it's trashed. For adding value to the sale of a car, you are generally better off selling it separately. Even to the buyer of the car, I'd ask $$$ for the car and $$$ (at current value) for the top.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

One of the things that impressed me the most when I bought my Boxster was how quiet it was with the top up. For a 20+ year old ragtop, it is quieter than our new Honda CR-V on the highway. The joy of owning a convertible is the ability to throw the top down on a whim. So, for me, I don't see the point of putting a hardtop on it. It looks cool, sure, but it takes away the roadster aspect and it's just one more thing I have to store.
Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Owner

I live in California Bay Area and despite the good weather most of the time I leave my hardtop on. After owning a Boxster I will never get a convertable again. Too much to maintain for my personal preference and I like the look with the top on. I only take it off when the kids ask - mostly summer nights.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benitom View Post
I live in California Bay Area and despite the good weather most of the time I leave my hardtop on. After owning a Boxster I will never get a convertable again. Too much to maintain for my personal preference and I like the look with the top on. I only take it off when the kids ask - mostly summer nights.
I live in the Bay too and ever since I moved here I`ve thought nothing else makes perfect sense here but a convertible I have a towing hitch on my SAAB convertible in case I need to carry something big We only bought a sedan when the baby arrived. Amazing how different we are
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #9

You didn't say the price, but you said NOS. If it is brand new and the price is in the $3,000 range, it's hard to see how you would ever get that much back for it on a resale, although prices do seem to be going up. I have the hardtop and like to use it in the winter. This past winter with the shutdown I wasn't able to get anyone to assist me so it stayed on the wall rack in the garage. If you buy the hardtop, two extra items you'll probably need to buy are the Spin Locks and the plastic cover for the central latch at the windshield header. There are some aftermarket Spin Locks for sale on eBay now from time to time. I would stay away from those because they are made from aluminum, not steel like the OEM Spin Locks. If you have storage space on a garage wall, here is a link to my post on the hardtop storage rack I made from 2x4 lumber and foam pipe insulation.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

My 2000 S came with the factory hard top, I have used it 3 months out of the 5 years I have owned the car. I like the change in looks with it on, but I bought it because its a convertible. Previous owner preferred the hard top.

So i mount a heavy duty kayak pulley storage rig over the center of the car enables me to install it by myself. Idea via Art works great.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #11

There is an active market now, who knows in 5 years or ??

They have gone for $1,500 or so when you can find them. Only one on ebay right now wants $3,200. Depends on the area and time of year. Often in the wrong color but a black or white one is often just used that way as a contrast.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #12

I approached a hard top for a different reason , I bought one to have as back up if something happens to the convertible top . If some goofball slices the top with a knife I need a plan NOW so I can continue to use the car .

Having the hard top gives me an option to take my time to shop around for a convertible top if needed . I was lucky to find my hard top locally and for a reasonable price . It also was painted the same color as my car . Lastly it came with a roof lift system which allows me to install/remove the hard top easily by myself .

The lift system is basically a manual winch that mounts to a wall in the garage . Then a pulley at the ceiling that the winch cable runs through . A foam padded bar and some straps lifts and suspends the top easily . I have 12' high ceilings so the top when stored is not in the way. Works for me .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #13

I bought an hardtop secondhand and painted it in the cars color which is GT silver. I put on during the cold months. I have noticed that it isolate the cabin more when stationary with the engine turned of and it let in less road and wind noice when driving.

With that said. The fabric roof on the Boxster is very good. The hardtop is not a must have. More like something that is nice to have.

Also if something would happen with the mechanism or the fabric roof it’s nice to have the hardtop as a backup.

I don’t think it adds any financial value to sell the Boxster with or without an hardtop. Many buyers probably have problems where to store it. But who knows what the future holds. The cars are around 20 years old.

Owners of older Mercedes SL from the 1970’s and newer appreciate if the car comes with hardtop even if they never use it. I will be keeping my car long term so I think it nice to have the hardtop. They will probably be harder to source in the future.
Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #14

When I had my Miatas I would pop the hard top on and off fairly frequently. For example, if the weather forecast called for a rainy week, I would install it and then take it off when we were due for a dry spell. The Miata top was a one-person job.

The Boxster hard top is more difficult to maneuver and the mounting system for the rear consists of two bayonet-like devices that could scratch the paint. Caution dictates that it is a two-person job even if you have a storage lift.

When I bought my 2000, it had the stock plastic-window top with no headliner. The benefits of the hard top are less significant since I installed a glass window top with a headliner.

I continue to use my hard top from November to March since I drive the car in the winter. I paid $615 for mine, and it matched the color of my car so it was almost a "no brainer." (The "almost" is related to the road trip from Virginia to South Carolina to pick it up because the seller wouldn't ship it.) I doubt that I would pay some of the current asking prices for a top now that I have upgraded the cloth top.

I hope this information helps with your decision.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #15

I DISLIKE the look of the car with the hardtop. To me, it just doesn't show off the beautiful lines of the body........for that matter, I dislike the cloth top too, but since mine is a "summer driver" 99% of the time my top is down. With the top down, IMHO, the car has one of the best "looks" of ANY car out there.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
I DISLIKE the look of the car with the hardtop. To me, it just doesn't show off the beautiful lines of the body........for that matter, I dislike the cloth top too, but since mine is a "summer driver" 99% of the time my top is down. With the top down, IMHO, the car has one of the best "looks" of ANY car out there.
I agree. The Boxster is at its best with the top down. But some compromises are needed if you need or prefer to drive the car year round.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #17

Well....in the Chicago or Midwest area you don't see many high end sports cars during the winter months. Almost no Vettes, Porsches, or any rear wheel drive cars.....it's just not good driving on crappy roads with slush, ice and salt.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #18

Yea, dont even see many 994 C4's out in the winter. Mainly due to the other bad drivers & salt. To me I would pay more for one with a hard top and would buy a hardtop if I saw a good deal. otherwise it's just another hard top to find a place in the garage for along with the 2 Jeep tops. Only so much ceiling room available before bumping my head every 2 feet.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #19

Well... I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum here. My soft top sits behind my shed waiting for someone who is interested to pick it up for free.

I don't like convertibles, but to be perfectly honest I like the softer lines of the 986 over the sharp edges of the 987. Part of me has toyed with the idea of buying a cayman and changing the front and rear bumpers, fenders, hood, and lights to make it look like a 986 cayman.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Well... I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum here. My soft top sits behind my shed waiting for someone who is interested to pick it up for free.

I don't like convertibles, but to be perfectly honest I like the softer lines of the 986 over the sharp edges of the 987. Part of me has toyed with the idea of buying a cayman and changing the front and rear bumpers, fenders, hood, and lights to make it look like a 986 cayman.
If it's black, in good condition and will fit a 2000 I'll take it